[NCUC-EC] NCUC EC Call last Friday - Appointments

Elsa S elsa.saade at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 16:55:34 CEST 2018

Hi Renata,

My replies will be in line below in dark blue. Generally, I'd like to point
out that this agenda was a suggested agenda, on my behalf, that was sent
for edits and comments. Since no edits or comments were made, the attendees
took this agenda into account. I also have a question, will we be sent a
transcript of the meeting? Because my impression of the meeting outcomes
was much more positive than the outcomes I see reported below.

Best,

Elsa Saade
--

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 7:14 AM, Renata Aquino Ribeiro <raquino at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear all
>
> These are my appointments from NCUC EC Call last Friday.
>
> Present in this call were Elsa Saade, Louise Hurel and Ines Hfaiedh

​As far as I understood Ines could not really make it through the call, due
to connection errors.

> Apologies from Michael Karanicolas and Bruna Santos
>
> I've recovered Elsa Saade's agenda here:
>
> 1. General overview of the NCUC EC and Chair's work in the past 5 months
> (always keeping by-laws in mind)
>
> This was to me a surprise and a rather uncanny agenda item since there was
> no point mentioned about the bylaws or their infringement I can recall

This was an umbrella point for the rest of the points below, keeping in
mind the by-laws to keep each other at check that we are all on the right
track as a team, and to also discuss if there would be a need for
reconsideration of bylaws based on discussions like the one on regional
representations for instance. The way I saw the discussion unfolding was
extremely positive, and had no reference to any infringement, rather praise
with a call for betterment. I'd like to have some clarification on why it
comes to Renata as a surprise that we'd like to evaluate our efficiency in
the last 5 months.

> a. Hand-over process (if any) and how it can be refined for current and
> future EC
>
> The EC had a transition document studied in the beginning of its term. In
> ICANN61 the Chair could not be at the meeting but EC could. Both Chair and
> EC are representatives of NCUC so in occasions where the Chair is not
> available, the EC can represent. Fortunately these occasions won't be
> needed anymore in a short horizon.

As stated in the meeting, this point was specifically concerning the
general handover of the EC when they first get elected and the possibility
to create a handbook or a more detailed transition document for any
upcoming EC in order for them to be hands on from the very beginning. The
point did not mean ICANN 61, rather a general NCUC EC procedural point
regarding transition from one EC to another.

> 2. Future Proceeds and how to improve communication
>
> See point above
>
> a. Communication Management Brainstorming and setting
>
> See point above
>
> b. Initial coordination plan for EC and Chair for any upcoming
> events/meetings
>
> Unfortunately we do not have the report from the ICANN62 Kick-off planning
> meeting yet but soon we may have other information
> A workspace is built, just like before
> A general public invite
> And thanks for the EC who contributed with social media, invites to the
> meeting
>
> Some meetings, for instance, are outside of Chair/EC remit
>
> As I understand Elsa Saade is going to Rightscon handpicked by GSE
> Since this comes w no consultation or communication to the EC or Chair, we
> take that she is representing her own personal capacity

I am indeed attending Rightscon in my own personal capacity, the GSE team
selected me as a Fellowship Alumni and another NextGen Alumni to help with
the ICANN Booth during the RightsCon days as we were both temporarily
located in the NA region. This was not a travel slot or funds that were
ever offered to NCUC and if I w
​ere​
attending the event
​i​
n the capacity of the NCUC EC AP representative
​,
 the whole team would have been informed, as expected of me. Accordingly,
as this was an opportunity offered to me as Alumni of the Fellowship
Program I did not see the need to communicate this to the EC or the Chair
on this specific call that aimed to address the EC and Chair
"appointments". In case any doubt with regards to this selection arises,
I'd suggest to talk to Adam Peake who was the one who contacted me with the
given opportunity
​.​

> c. Responsibilities and Time Management + Deadline setting
>
> Unfortunately ICANN organization sets deadlines and emails have to be
> publicized for members knowledge as soon as the information is available
> for transparency and information of our members. So, there isn't really a
> possibility on "holding off" on emails for 1 day a week so the EC can have
> a lesser email volume. Advice remains that the EC change to digest mode or
> web-only messages. Staff can help with that. Whenever Chair or Staff
> reaches out to EC offlist is because a deadline is approaching and needs to
> have EC feedback. However, we strive to move with tasks as best as possible
> on time with majority of votes, as Procedures outline.
>
> 3. AOB

Elsa Saade
Consultant
Gulf Centre for Human Rights