[NCUC-EC] [Ext] members survey

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 02:32:49 CEST 2017

Hi Renata,

> Hi Rafik
>
> At this point, I think it's important we (EC, PC, NCSG...) accompany
> the work of Onboarding program but I have in mind this is the 1st
> edition of this initiative and it's a joint effort by ICANN and the
> community.
> So I'd not, at this time, encourage implementation of 1 single data
> mapping of members.

I didn't suggest onboarding program to collect data. My point was that we
have some initiative to let new members more familiar with ICANN and NCSG.
afterwards we can have survey that can collect meaningful data. collecting
data is implicitly done by NCUC here not other party e.g ICANN.

I think it's fine that the program has its own form and dataset.
> As it was announced, members who have been around for a while but want
> to receive the materials can do so, I signed up for that.
> And we can tap in on the data collected anytime too.

I cannot talk about onboarding and I have no idea about their plan to get
feedback. again I only indicated about the fact we have some ongoing
intiatives to brief members.

> When the Onboarding team presented their work to EC, it was pretty
> clear that this would be an evolving initiative so maybe in 6 months
> or 1 year we can maybe review it again.

again I cannot comment about onboarding program details. l was aware about
such program since marrakech meeting few specifics were shared since. I
know that Kathy, Ayden and Louise worked on the content of material to be
sent but not aware how it will be managed. anyway, it was not my focus in
my response.

> So yes, the question is a bit odd but I understand that some members
> may want entry level leadership positions and it's important to know
> them.

I think we should manage expectations carefully and better to ask them
later when they have better sense of what participating means. it would be
even more effective and customized in term of mentorship.

> Anyway, I think this can be a dialogue to have w/ Onboarding team,
> probably at next NCUC policy session.

I think there is misunderstanding about my comment: I only mentioned
onboarding program as an example of initiatve to get members "trained"
among many others done informally. My point was simply: we shouldn't ask
about leadersip interest in the beginning, postpone such question after
members get familiar to ICANN, NCSG and policies (let's say after 6 months)
, such question can be asked in separate survey that can be administrated
to all members if we want.

> I'm interested too in the data NCSG is collecting and whether
> constituencies will have access to it or give inputs to the form. This
> can be too a part of the conversation.

for now, it contains only the data coming from NCSG membership application
forms and that DB is accessible to constituencies.  that is the one used
for NCSG election check-in process. there is no additional data yet other
than from application form.

Best,

Rafik