[NCUC-EC] NCUC Procedures Rules EC Comment Period

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 18:58:20 CEST 2017

Farzaneh

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 12:31 PM, Renata Aquino Ribeiro <raquino at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thank you for this comprehensive document.
> I've answered the poll and commented on the doc.
>
> I am confused about the outreach session.
> Procedures demand a list of things from the proposer but I haven't
> seen dedicated budget for outreach.
> How can we demand from the proposer a list of requirements if no
> budget or association with NCUC is present?

​Since I completed the outreach part and specifically mentioned not to
allocate special budget to general outreach, I will explain. As I said
before, it is not a great idea to allocate a set budget to outreach
activities because sometimes we get many good requests that we might want
to fund and sometimes we don't get many. Having a set budget can prevent EC
to approve things for the best interest of the constituency. What is
important for EC to consider is regional diversity and the benefit of the
outreach event. It should be assessed whether the person has received
funding before, whether the event they are going to do outreach has the
type of audience that could be potentially NCUC members, if the outreach
plan is detailed and whether the outreach requester is an active member.

I dont understand your question on how can we demand a list of requirements
when there is no budget or association. It is very clear that we consider
such requests and if EC decides, it can give the funding to the requestor.
But what we don't have is a budget allocated specifically to outreach for
each year. of course if all EC members want to have a specific budget and
have a detailed outreach policy like that of the travel support, then we
can do that. I just pointed out that by allocating a strict budget to
outreach you might limit effective outreach activities. For example, if  we
need 4000 USD for the outreach Africa event this year and we decide to use
NCUC budget, and we have a budget cap of 4000 USD for outreach for the
whole year then our hands will be tight.

Moreover, while outreach is great, we also need to have events and
activities for in-reach and make our current members active.

​

> Imagine if someone doesn't comply, also what could be the consequence?
> So I'd take maybe these would be good practices or recommendations but
> obligatory procedures seems a bit of a reach.
> However, as I followed the work of the group as EC only, I understand
> this extended reach in scope could be something the members may wish
> to discuss.

​If someone does not comply with the requirements and arrange events with
our affiliation, we send a note to them and tell them to inform NCUC in
future events or we will contact the event organizers and tell them that
the affiliation they had was wrong.

We need a process for those who want to do NCUC outreach or use NCUC as
their affiliation when organizing a session related to NCUC mission. These
procedures address them.
​