[Ec-ncuc] FW: NPOC issues

Alex Gakuru gakuru
Mon Oct 17 20:28:10 CEST 2011

Hi,

I've just concluded a 30 minute call with Debbie. I think she's a good
person with honest intentions and do good for society. Opine that the
problem is that she never knew the ?ICANN Political Establishment? at all
prior to joining thus she found herself thrown into the deep end of 'strange
politics' courtesy of, I think, the gentleman whom stepped down after Seoul
meeting. What was his name? It is possible that she's been a reminder of the
terrible he thus takes the flak on his behalf?

Of course none of this answers all the questions put onlist, but, isolation
or feeling isolated causes anyone to rebel. I have been a member of the
Kenya Freedom of Information coalition of civil of society organisations. In
2007, Priscilla Nyokabi - a Kenyan lady whom for over 10 years led the
crusade for the enactment FOI law impressed upon the government to pass the
law arguing that the government could be doing great things but so long as
citizens felt excluded through secrecy laws, then they would always take
literally *everything* the government said or did suspiciously.

 Thus, I might have been wrong in expressing disappointment with her going
to the board - considering that as an appointee of the board the route most
probably looked best? But I hasten to add that this is my own view of the
situation for we did not discuss it nor any other current onlist
developments.

 I am unable to join you at Dakar for reasons explained to the Chair last
week, but I really urge you to steal a moment or two and chat with her, try
to find out who Debbie really is? speak with her, buy her a coffee or
something...

thanks,

Alex