[NCSG-Discuss] ICANN is bottom-up, except for when it is top-down. Fwd: Memorandum on the Trademark Clearinghouse ³Strawman Solution²

Edward Morris edward.morris at ALUMNI.USC.EDU
Fri Mar 22 20:16:53 CET 2013

Hi Evan,

> Hmm. What constitutes a "non-commercial user"?
>
> Someone who never purchases goods or services on the Internet, has a
> no-cost ISP and never reads content on ad-supported websites or uses
> analytics-supported search engines? Is that really two billion?
>
> Just curious.

I believe Robin has answered that question.

> So we have dictatorship of the proletariat? The only way to save the
>> bottom up MSM is through top down control?
>>

> Dictatorship of the proletariat? That sounds more like Marxism 101 than
> top-down.

You may be right. I'm not sure the staff could be properly conceived of a
class temporarily representing the greater good in governing by fiat.

What I don't understand is why civil society and noncommercial interests
should have any desire to participate in a process by which all authority
vests in the staff and the CEO and where our interests are considered only
when the ICANN elites deem it prudent or find it in their own interest to
do so. If that's the new model going forward then I wholeheartedly agree
with Robin when she writes "unless the community can reign in this
power-grabbing staff, we should all just walk away from ICANN as an
experiment in multi-stakeholder Internet governance that has sadly ended".
If this bottom up MSM continues to break down I'm not sure the interests of
those who we represent would not be better served in a government centric
internet than in a ICANN staff driven process that marginalizes our input
and interests.

Ed