[NCSG-Discuss] ICANN is bottom-up, except for when it is top-down. Fwd: Memorandum on the Trademark Clearinghouse ³Strawman Solution²

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Fri Mar 22 18:21:28 CET 2013

On Mar 22, 2013, at 10:00 AM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> Hmm. What constitutes a "non-commercial user"?
>
> Someone who never purchases goods or services on the Internet, has
> a no-cost ISP and never reads content on ad-supported websites or
> uses analytics-supported search engines? Is that really two billion?
>
> Just curious.

We are all non-commercial users.  We all use the Internet for non-
commercial purposes.  Of course we also all have commercial reasons
for using the Internet also, but those are not the interests we are
here to protect.  The CSG and ALAC can protect those interests.  We
(NCSG) are here to ensure that these non-commercial uses of the
Internet are protected in the policy development process.

It is a mistake to think NCSG members never use the Internet for
commercial reasons.  That is not how we are designed, nor is it in
alignment with reality for just about anyone on the planet any more.

We protect non-commercial uses in policy development.  We don't claim
to never have a commercial use for the Internet in our own lives.
That would be silly.  It is important you understand that distinction.

Also, you are incorrect in saying NCSG does not welcome end-users
with no domain.  Ever since NCSG was created we let in individual
users concerned with non-commercial policy.  It's been in our charter
for a couple years.  It might be a good idea to get facts straight
before making such declarations in the future.

Thanks,
Robin

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org