[NCSG-Discuss] ICANN is bottom-up, except for when it is top-down. Fwd: Memorandum on the Trademark Clearinghouse ³Strawman Solution²

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Fri Mar 22 21:20:57 CET 2013

On 22 Mar 2013, at 15:16, Edward Morris wrote:

> If that's the new model going forward then I wholeheartedly agree with Robin when she writes "unless the community can reign in this power-grabbing staff, we should all just walk away from ICANN as an experiment in multi-stakeholder Internet governance that has sadly ended".

Sure call their bluff and walk out.  They would cheer at the sight of our backs.

And even if it further delegitimized ICANN in the eyes of the world (assuming that is possible outside the small bubble of those who believe[d] in ICANN), they would still continue to rule the root for the foreseeable future.  In the schemes of things disappearance of the gadfly may have historic implications, but in the immediacy of the hurly burly, it means nothing more than a better night's sleep.

If we really beleive that Command & Control (C&C) has replaced PDP, then my recommendation is that we redouble our efforts and answer them at ever turn, working with any ally that wants to see the bottom-up processes reinforced and respected.  It should also become our charge to really tell the world how messed up it is.  If they won't listen when we keep it relatively in house, then lets tell the world what we think, but tell the world from the perspective of embattled defenders of the multistakeholder model and not embittered surrender bunnies*.

Now if the Registries and Registrars were to say "enough of this nonsense, ICANN you have gone too far and we no longer accept your authority due to breech of promise," they might care.    As if.

avri

* for those who have been butting their heads against the wall for a decade or more, i understand the appeal of walking out on this dog's breakfast.  But surrender is always hard to live with in the long run.