Fwd: [council] A New Approach to Africa

Alex Gakuru gakuru at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 13 07:14:49 CEST 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 1:52 AM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Alex Gakuru <gakuru at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> How is the most inclusive bottom-up open and transparent IG mechanism we
>>> have in Africa "most shy" to HR??
>>>

>> Who are their HR people?
>>

> You and me and everyone else interested in making policy.  WE make policy,
> the NIC just does what we tell them in terms of policy.

Mailing lists can/are open but effective policy influence is achieved with
representation on the policy making table. Their 6-person BOD structure
http://www.afrinic.net/en/our-structure/bod  of Eastern Africa(1), Indian
Ocean(1), Northern Africa(1), Western Africa(1), Central Africa(1),
Southern Africa(1) are business, ccTLDs and government persons. It does not
provide for civil society representatives. Or would I be missing one
(including on the listed past) BOD members?

The internet was once controlled by engineers before lawyers snatched it
from them. Assertive global civil society raised its and had to be
accommodated. Now Africa's Civil Society has risen up and is demanding a
say on how Africa (and global) Internet is managed, for example,
http://netizenproject.org/2012/08/05/pan-african-civil-society-on-who-controls-the-internet/