Fwd: [council] A New Approach to Africa

McTim dogwallah at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 13 12:54:27 CEST 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 1:14 AM, Alex Gakuru <gakuru at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 1:52 AM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Who are their HR people?
>>>

>> You and me and everyone else interested in making policy.  WE make
>> policy, the NIC just does what we tell them in terms of policy.
>>

> Mailing lists can/are open but effective policy influence is achieved with
> representation on the policy making table. Their 6-person

13 person IIRC. the folk who hold the Alternate seats are full Board
members.

> BOD structure http://www.afrinic.net/en/our-structure/bod  of Eastern
> Africa(1), Indian Ocean(1), Northern Africa(1), Western Africa(1), Central
> Africa(1), Southern Africa(1) are business, ccTLDs and government persons.
> It does not provide for civil society representatives.

Nor does it provide for business, gov or ccTLDs persons.   Representation
is regional, NOT by stakeholder group.

>  Or would I be missing one (including on the listed past) BOD members?

There are 2 academics elected as alternates.   together, all of these folk
ARE acting as CS IMHO.

> The internet was once controlled by engineers before lawyers snatched it
> from them. Assertive global civil society raised its and had to be
> accommodated.

how so?

> Now Africa's Civil Society has risen up and is demanding a say on how
> Africa (and global) Internet is managed, for example,
> http://netizenproject.org/2012/08/05/pan-african-civil-society-on-who-controls-the-internet/

We already have a say.  Look at the last several AfriNIC meeting lists, you
will see LOTS of CS participants!!

--
Cheers,

McTim