Fwd: [council] A New Approach to Africa

McTim dogwallah at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 13 00:52:02 CEST 2012

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Alex Gakuru <gakuru at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 12:44 AM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 5:06 AM, Alex Gakuru <gakuru at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Great development, for the technical side of the Internet. Unfortunately
>>> AFRINIC, historically most shy to Human Rights,
>>

>> How is the most inclusive bottom-up open and transparent IG mechanism we
>> have in Africa "most shy" to HR??
>>

> Who are their HR people?

You and me and everyone else interested in making policy.  WE make policy,
the NIC just does what we tell them in terms of policy.

>>> is the wrong (or not) best vehicle to carry Civil Society and its
>>> multi-stakeholder bar.
>>>

>> It is AfrICANN, not AfrINIC that is the vehicle for this.
>>
>>  You mean AfrICANN is incorporated distinctly separate from AFRINIC? I
> always considered it just another mailing list hosted by AFRINIC.

It is a mailing list.  It is hosted by the NIC, but they have nothing
whatsoever to do with AFRICANN folk self-organised activities.  They do not
moderate or actively participate, they just provide (free) hosting.

--
Cheers,

McTim