Question about NCUC faq relating to membership

Tamir Israel tisrael at CIPPIC.CA
Mon Nov 14 21:05:39 CET 2011

Hi Alain,

Thank you for clarifying this for me.

I apologize if I am merely rehashing matters that have already been
addressed (I am somewhat new to the list). From what I understand, it is
fairly common for groups such as this to assess membership internally with
an appeal process. That appears to be the practice for other constituency
groups:

http://www.ipconstituency.org/join-the-ipc/

http://www.ipconstituency.org/bylaws/

http://www.bizconst.org/responsibilities.htm

http://www.bizconst.org/charter.htm

I think this is to some extent unavoidable.

I note with some amusement that my own legal clinic (CIPPIC) would likely
qualify for both the IP and the Bus constituencies, given a very narrow
interpretation, because, while we advocate in the public interest, we are
composed of copyright lawyers and do on occasion consult with for-profit
e-commerce organizations where this will further the public interest.
However, were we to do so, I think it would pose serious challenges for a
multi-stakeholder model such as that ICANN aspires to.

Best regards,

Tamir

  _____