[NCUC E-team] Boilerplate response & non-member mail list subscribers

Brenden Kuerbis bkuerbis at internetgovernance.org
Tue Apr 1 15:54:52 CEST 2014

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 7:35 AM, William Drake <wjdrake at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I seem to recall that we did a boilerplate statement last year, but I
> don’t recall if whomever was dealing with subscription requests has used
> it.  I would certainly think something like "Thanks for your interest in
> subscribing to the Noncommerical Users Constitutency (NCUC) discussion
> list. Our list is publicly archived at:
> http://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-discuss/.  If you wish to join the
> list, we encourage you or your organization to become a member of NCUC. To
> do so, please follow the instructions here:
> http://www.ncuc.org/participate/become-a-member/“ would be fine.
>
> I do have a question about a sentence of Brenden’s language, which I
> didn’t include above.  I don’t recall a previous agreement on the EC or the
> ET that "Individuals who are not members can be subscribed, but will not
> have posting privileges.”  Has this been the sysadmins' practice and I just
> don’t know about it?

It has not, it was just suggested language to prompt the debate.

My .02 - allowing non-members to subscribe might allow opportunity for
email-dependent allies, reporters, etc. to be more closely informed of NCUC
matters, calls to action. NCUC does sort of serve as a hub for civil
society activity in Internet governance.  OTOH, such a practice would allow
those not necessarily friendly to NCUC to more closely monitor.

>  If so I’d like to hear how it happened and the rationale.  And are we
> thus saying there are non-members now included on
> http://lists.ncuc.org/cgi-bin/mailman/roster/ncuc-discuss ?
>
> It’s not entirely obvious to me why we’d bother doing this when the
> archive is anyway public.  Personally I’d prefer knowing that the above
> listing comprised only members, but I guess I’d don’t feel strongly about
> it if others do.  A couple of questions in this case:
>
> *If that’s going to be the practice, on what grounds would we be turn away
> anyone going forward?   When Joly’s asked in the past about some
> subscription efforts we’ve often said oh no, s/he’s not a member, a troll,
> not civil society, whatever….

*May I assume people can be subscribed to the list without being added to
> the member data base?

Yes, the member database and mailman are currently entirely separate
systems.

>  I don’t really know how the linkages work but the intake practice has
> been that when a member is added they are signed up on the list and also go
> into the data base from which eligible voters and the member count on the
> website are generated.

We can only wish we were that sophisticated. Maybe some day we have a
member management system integrated with mailman, etc.

>  Does adding non-members to the list introduce any possible problems for
> those of you who maintain our e-platforms, or no?

Not to my knowledge. Member check-ins, ballots are generated from
information in the member database, not from mailman subscriber list.
Perhaps if we were to add a member management system we would have to
revisit the situation.