[Pt53] Welcome to the Planning List for NCUC's Regional Outreach Session at ICANN 53 in Buenos Aires

Valeria Betancourt valeriab at apc.org
Wed Apr 29 17:10:40 CEST 2015

Dear Bill and all,

Joining Analia in thanking you for your email. Looking forward to
assist with the organisation of the meeting.

Valeria

On 29/04/15 7:55, Analia Aspis wrote:
> [...]
>> especially with respect to gTLD policies in the GNSO.  As per
>> http://www.ncuc.org/about/members/ we currently have 417 members
>> from 96 countries, a substantial share of which are from the
>> global South. However, aside from a fairly active Brazilian
>> contingent, we arguably don’t have enough engagement from the LAC
>> region.  So what we wanted to do here is some outreach and
>> dialogue with progressive civil society folks who are interested
>> in Internet governance. The simple objectives are to share info
>> about what we’re into, and hear about their views and any
>> interests/activities on ICANN-relevant issues (including if these
>> are critical with respect to ICANN).  If we just come away from
>> this with greater mutual awareness that’s fine, if someone
>> decides they might like to get involved at some level, even
>> better; either way, there’ll be no hard sell or dispensing of
>> kool aid.
>>
>> *Planning Team*
>>
>> One of the things we’ve done since I was first elected chair in
>> 2013 is establish ‘working teams' to manage different bits of the
>> constituency’s operations.  These can be standing teams or
>> temporary, depending on the need.  This group will be a temporary
>> Program Team for ICANN 53; the mail list will be taken down after
>> the event.  As soon as we’re able we’ll get it listed at
>> http://www.ncuc.org/participate/working-teams/ with an invitation
>> to other members to click and join the list.  If anyone prefers
>> not to be listed on website for a couple months just send me a
>> note.
>>
>> Stefi and Analía have both offered to play lead roles in
>> coordinating our efforts and keeping us on track, which is much
>> appreciated.
>>
>> *Meeting Logistics*
>>
>> As I said previously on the Cc,
>>
>> On Apr 24, 2015, at 10:18 AM, William Drake
>> <william.drake at uzh.ch> wrote:
>>
>> I just spoke with JJ Sahel, the staffer who is supporting this
>> effort. We definitely have a room 16:00-18:00 Saturday June 20
>> with technical support (computer/screen/remote participation).
>> The room will be suitable for like 50-60 people.  Do those of you
>> who are locally connected think we need to ask for translation
>> facilities?  That’s an expensive ‘ask’ and I don’t know if his
>> budget could accommodate it, but if we anticipate people showing
>> up whose English isn’t sufficient to be comfortable I can try.
>>
>> In addition, there will be a reception 18-19:30 for all CS @
>> ICANN, which one assumes will get swamped with other people in
>> search of booze as well. Afterwards people can charge off into
>> the BA night for dinner.
>>

>> So that’s it, two hour dialogue and then drinks and nibbles to
>> start our Saturday night.  Perhaps we can return to the
>> translation issue when we have a better sense of who might attend
>> and what the needs may be.
>>
>> *Agenda*
>>
>> We’ve done regional outreach sessions at some previous ICANN
- -current-issues-in-internet-governance/.

The model we followed rather successfully in DC was to have 6-8 NCUC
>> members each offer 3 minute summaries of what we’re currently
>> working on in different issue areas---e.g. the IANA transition,
>> accountability mechanisms in the context of globalization, human
>> rights, privacy and WHOIS, access to knowledge and intellectual
>> property, freedom of expression, development, ICANN in the
>> broader Internet governance environment—and then ask the local
>> folks to share their interests/views/reactions, followed by open
>> dialogue. In effect, a Roundtable type thing. If we were to
>> decide to do that again, then the substantive agenda would be
>> easy to assemble and we could concentrate more on identifying and
>> inviting potential participants. Alternatively, if people feel a
>> different sort of agenda would be better, whether a Panel or just
>> a free flowing discussion with no opening comments or whatever,
>> we can talk that through.
>>
>> *Outreach to Potential Participants*
>>
>> As mentioned when the Cc started, we need help on this from folks
>> with local contacts and knowledge of the LAC civil society
>> landscape.  Stefi put up a Google doc to get us started and
>> others have added names, at
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gRnbG-zlSzke5D2bQO30yXAu2kXxfuLNX
IRL1jwj9v0/edit?pli=1.

It’d be great if people could add suggestions there (sorry if you don’t