[Pt53] Welcome to the Planning List for NCUC's Regional Outreach Session at ICANN 53 in Buenos Aires

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Wed Apr 29 17:47:05 CEST 2015

Thanks for this, Bill. Good group indeed (myself notwithstanding :-)).

We will have a sort of formidable challenge in the Bs.As ICANN meeting.
I thought until now that what should be one of our main concerns as NCUC
with 96 countries' people participating is the international legitimacy
aspect of IANA functions' oversight, which in my view (and Norbert
Klein's as far as I know) is being left aside by the CWG. I thought this
was a problem related to the names function only, as the IETF-ICANN
relationship seems well established regarding protocols (and I have not
heard any rumors regarding any significant change here in any scenario),
and the January proposal by CRISP was a no-brainer according to Steve
Crocker himself.

I am now recovering from reading Milton's review of the current status,
and what I see is far worse. ICANN seems to have reversed its view on
the original CRISP proposal and basically crushed it. It is essential to
read the slide presentation quoted by Milton:

https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/reports/ARIN_35/PDF/monday/crisp_panel.pdf

I understand from Bill's opening message in this list that the basic
function (I am starting to hate the word) of the outreach meeting is to
do NCUC outreach. OK, fine, but could we have time to raise crucial
issues we will be confronted with immediately afterwards in the ICANN
meeting?

My recommendation for NCUCers not dealing with these issues on a daily
basis is:

- read the CWG proposal (big challenge, if you can complicate a
presentation, why simplify it?);

- read the January proposal by CRISP/NRO (far simpler);

- take a careful look at the slide presentation by the RIRs' team in the
April 14th meeting with ARIN (catch it from Milton's article or the
above link);

- read the excellent review published yesterday by Milton, here:
http://www.internetgovernance.org/2015/04/28/icann-wants-an-iana-functions-monopoly-and-its-willing-to-wreck-the-transition-process-to-get-it/

What is NCUC's position (which is a multi-country non-commercial civil
society organization) regarding all this? This is a challenge for our
meeting, I guess, besides just trying to bring more folks to the tribe
and so on.

frt rgds

--c.a.