[NCUC-EC] New Elections Timeline @ NCSG

Bruna Martins dos Santos bruna.mrtns at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 17:20:32 CEST 2019

Dear EC,

The constituency and NCSG Chairs have been discussing the upcoming
elections for all three groups. Because ICANN is backing up travel
deadlines in order to cut costs, we now have to have our members names in
four months in advance. This will impact the timing of elections, in order
to have our new leaders seated at the AGM. We think it would be sensible
and labor saving to have all three elections run at the same time. Here is
the proposed schedule:

May 13 - June 07: check in period 23 May - 06 June: Nomination period 07
June: deadline for nomination acceptance and candidate statement. Check in
ends. 09 June: Voter roll finalized 08/09 June: meet the candidates call 10
June - 23 June: Voting 24 June: Results

Just to clarify, ICANN has adopted a new travel deadline prior to meetings;
from now on we will have to inform who is using the NCUC travel slots 120
days before the meeting. That means that July 5th is the last day in which
we should inform who from the EC will be going to Montreal.

Based on that, GNSO leadership wrote to all SG and Constituency leaders for
us to evaluate adjusting our elections timeline in order to allow newly
elected leaders to attend the AGM. GNSO leadership also clarified that the
travelers list not be amended due to newly elected officers and recommended
the elections adjustment.

On the call we just had, I've taken notes on some of the concerns you
presented such as: 1. Transition period - while 4 months would allow us to
do proper transition and onboarding newly elected leadership team members,
how we would deal with it is key - from trying to avoid ppl from loosing
interest in their mandates to any other problems;
2. Shifting attention from the policy forum - Having elections prior to the
PF does in fact takes a bit of the attention that should be going to
preparations.
3. Consult with other SGs and constituencies - check if everyone will
adjust their timelines.

Therefore my initial question is: Do we agree with it ? All questions
considered I think it would be good to (a) have unified elections and (b)
adjust our timelines to the new travel deadlines.

But I would like to hear more from you, especially the ones who were not
able to join this very last minute call @David Cake
<dave at davecake.net> and @Antonella
Perini <antomperini at gmail.com> . Also, If I forgot to list any concerns,
please let me know. best,