[NCUC-EC] ICANN64 | Kobe - NCUC-EC Travelers application due Thursday, 08 November 2018

Louise Marie Hurel louise.marie.hsd at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 23:07:38 CET 2018

Hi folks,

Please find my statement below.

In terms of policy engagement, I’ve been actively participating in the RPMs
working group throughout this past year and working on public comments
(such as the NCSG comment on DNSSEC implementation). However, I've been
gradually shifting attention to the EPDP process, in particular, to
questions related to third-party access to WHOIS data - as it is one of the
key policy developments in place and close to my own area of research.
While the latter might probably continue a topic of discussion, ICANN 64 is
set to be held in the period of public comments to the EPDP and an
important moment for both NCUC and NCSG in terms of developing a document
to provide input to the board. Thus, for NCUC it is crucial not only to (i)
follow the developments, but also (ii) support the non-commercial
representatives that are officially engaged in this process and, finally,
(iii) reach out to members who might be interested in understanding this
and other PDPs that are already in place through our outreach sessions.

ICANN63 was the first meeting in the EU region in my time as NCUC EC, and
it was an enriching experience to work in close coordination with the chair
in making sure members were informed of our activities. This also included
providing assistance and helping organise the #AskNCUC edition with Shahul
(NCUC Fellow), Collin Kurre and Bruna. Knowing that the next meeting will
be within the AP region, I would be more than willing (and available) to
assist the chair and work with fellow EC members to provide continuity to
the efforts and best practices from this past ICANN63. Further developments
might include lightening chats with fellows at the booth along with other
EC reps about NCUC and policy writing chats. Happy to discuss any other
ideas.

Kind regards,

Louise Marie Hurel

Cybersecurity Project Coordinator | Igarapé Institute

London School of Economics (LSE) Media and Communications (Data and Society)
Skype: louise.dias
+44 (0) 7468 906327
*l.h.dias at lse.ac.uk <l.h.dias at lse.ac.uk> *
louise.marie.hsd at gmail.com