[NCUC-EC] Fwd: Funding civil society day before IGF

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 17:05:06 CET 2017

I believe we have discussed and responded to these questions, but I will
repeat this for the new members of EC.  I do urge you to read the operating
procedures, and do a bit of research on how ICANN functions and read our
travel policy, now back to the questions:

 What level of funding do we have available to disburse now, and in
what baskets (CROP, general support, etc.)

As I said, and as is in the operating procedures each year NCUC receives
CROP (there has to be a request submitted). This CROP comes as either CROP
for event and Crop for outreach travel. This year we will have 5 slots for
travel. nothing been assigned The rules about CROP has been distributed by
me and Renata on this list. It is also clear how many is available. These
rules are set by ICANN staff.

- What commitments of funding have we approved going forward, if any?

NCUC each year provides funding for traveling for up to 4000 USD each
meeting. Sometimes we do not use our own funding because an ICANN travel
slot might become available if a funded traveler cannot make it or has
access to other source of funding.  For outreach, as will be explained
below, there is no set budget.

Also please read this part of the travel policy:

ICANN-Related Meetings

At times it may be in NCUC’s interest to be represented at other meetings
where important GNSO/ICANN matters will be discussed. Generally, such
meetings would be held by GNSO or cross-community working groups, but on an
exceptional basis, they could be organizationally separate events.

NCUC can make available up to US $5,000 per calendar year to facilitate
participation in such meetings. A member may receive support of up to US
$1,000. Covered travel costs include conference-related airfare, visas or
related fees, lodging, and airport taxis. If the actual cost of these items
is greater than $1,000 the member will be responsible for the difference.
NCUC cannot provide a per diem or cover other expenses.

*- What is our fiscal year - when will these funds be replenished, andto
what level?*

For travel, as you see from the travel policy, we have a per calendar year
budget. As to NCUC funds for outreach and activities similar to that, we
don't really have allocated budget, we decide case by case. And each year
we get certain amount of money from PIR (treasurer reports on that). We
decided not to allocate a certain budget that makes us spend it nor
restrict action (this was discussed with the previous EC and agreed upon)
if an opportunity comes a long that is in favor of NCUC to use its funds.
But we did put a cautious, voluntary cap for EC to consider (500 USD or
less). All this said, approving a set budget for outreach  is possible if
the EC decides to take such actions.

I would also call your attention to operating procedures section VII:

VII. Funding
1. NCUC funds its activities through two sources: ICANN funds and NCUC
funds.
ICANN funds are typically available on a pilot and/or ad hoc basis. It is
not
clear if each year a support program will continue or not. As of July 2017,
the
ICANN sourced funding opportunities available for the NCUC are: Community
Regional Outreach Program, funding through the Global Stakeholder
Engagement team, as well as approved funding of supplementary budget
requests. NCUC funding opportunities include travel support for ICANN
meetings, as well as funding for external related meetings.
2. Funding Transparency: The NCUC does not have a set budget for outreach.
Requests will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis, and the EC
shall provide a rationale as to why it funds or does not fund any portion
of a
request.

Farzaneh

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 9:51 AM, Michael Karanicolas <mkaranicolas at gmail.com