[NCUC-EC] NCUC bylaws

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 13:34:24 CEST 2016

Hi Farzaneh,

I.B.: Should we list broader, more general NCUC interests or should we

list specific issues? ( as it is, we have specific issues). Recommended a

change.

[Rafik] as I added in the document, I don't think we should be restrictive.
currently we don't have an exhaustive or restricted list but gives
indication of topics that can interest or matter to members. new topics and
issues can pop-up any time. before 2014, we didn't listt IANA stewardship
transition as a topic.

2. Matt and Accountability: Wants it under section I. And suggests we say

something to this effect: Perhaps add something here on what the NCUC

commits to do vis-a-vis the orgs and interests that it represents?  I think

from an accountability perspective it would be useful to make explicit

how we communicate (website, newsletter), how we involve (open

meetings etc.), how we “report back on activities, and how we manage the

membership lists to ensure that it is up to date etc.]

[Rafik] while it is good to list some expectations in term of reporting and
accountability, we shouldn't be detailling how that should be done. we
should define what is the expected behavior or performance and leave a room
on how it is implemented. EC can work on procedural or implementation, and
review that regularly. I also dont think that section I is the right place
for that,

3. Ayden’s comment on social purpose companies has gained Matt’s

attention. Look at the comment. III(A)(2)

[Rafik] while they have a social purpose, they are still for-profit. we
have to put some limits and restrictions on who join us. they can join the
commercial side since they are running businesses. we have similar
discussion before at NCSg level when cybercafes and telecentres tried to
create constituencies, cybercafes are basically business even if they are
set to serve and provide access to communities.

4. Decide on whether keep “good standing” or not

[Rafik] I thought in the call we discussed to use "eligible" word instead.

5. Calling for more details on how we remove people from people at NCUC.
[Rafik] maybe adding text that when situation change and member is not
matching the eligibility criteria , he can be removed. NCSG charter itself
leave the definition of removal procedure to be set by NCSG EC

"*.2.6. Procedural rules*
The Executive Committee shall create procedural rules for membership and
for existing members to maintain their good standing or for removal of
membership for cause. Any such procedure will be subject to membership
approval."

NCSG charter has this article too:
"*2.2.9 Loss of Membership*

Any member who no longer meets the membership criteria established in this
charter is obligated to notify the NCSG‑EC and resign membership.
In the event that an NCSG member in good standing believes that membership
is held inappropriately by another organization or individual, a request
can be made to the NCSG‑EC to review whether the disputed member meets the
criteria for membership. In performing review, the NCSG‑EC will review any
evidence provided in the request and will solicit a response from the
member whose membership is being questioned. Any decision by the NCSG‑EC on
revoking membership may be appealed according to the procedures set out in
Section 2.4.2.1"

6. IX. B

Charter amendments shall be passed if at least two thirds of the votes cast
in

the election favor its adoption (provided 40% or more of the eligible Voters

cast a ballot in the election).Ron says: 40% of the eligible individual and

organizational members. not 40% of the elegible "votes" where
organizations

get multiple votes

[Rafik] yes correct 40% in the voters list which include individuals and
organizations.

Best,

Rafik