[NCUC-EC] FW: [NCUC-DISCUSS] Launch of NCUC Chat - A platform for NCUC collaboration

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Thu May 5 16:45:58 CEST 2016

From: Ncuc-discuss [mailto:ncuc-discuss-bounces at lists.ncuc.org] On Behalf Of James Gannon
Sent: Thursday, May 5, 2016 5:55 AM
To: ncuc-discuss at lists.ncuc.org<mailto:ncuc-discuss at lists.ncuc.org>
Subject: Re: [NCUC-DISCUSS] Launch of NCUC Chat - A platform for NCUC collaboration

Hi All,

We have enabled manual approval of new accounts, please email myself rafik or brenden to get accounts approved.

MM: James, do you think this is a viable or scalable administrative process?
You want ALL of NCUC membership (300+) on  this tool and all additions (and presumably deletions) to be manually handled on special email requests?

I am sorry, that doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. As Brenden can tell you, I am very conservative about these things - I understand that techies get all excited about the capabilities of new tools, but I always resist the tendency to jump headlong into them because techies also tend to overlook completely the administrative burdens associated with implementation and regular maintenance not to mention migration and isolation issues in the transition.

I am sending this message only to NCUC EC, and Brenden added. I don’t think the decision to make this transition was properly thought out and the EC needs to re-consider it.

--MM