[NCUC-EC] Travel support request to attend Annenberg-Oxford Media Policy Summer Institute

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Mon Apr 25 03:40:23 CEST 2016

OK, Rafik, perhaps justified not to kill it unilaterally.

But for that reason, I think going forward we need to put an end to ANY travel support outside of ICANN meetings. It just gives people the wrong idea. Travel support for outreach is NOT our primary function or purpose.

As Treasurer, let me remind everyone that our ONLY reliable source of revenue is the PIR contribution, which is ONLY enough to support about $4000 in travel support 3 times a year, website hosting, and a few other small things. We are not in a position to be expansive about who and what we fund.

Even if we did generate consistent new sources of funding, I don’t think that random proposals for travel support is the best way to spend it. We are a policy development organ in ICANN, let’s think of ways to support that. Might be better than going even deeper into ICANN’s control by allowing them – not us – to develop policy papers.

--MM