[NCUC-EC] Travel support request to attend Annenberg-Oxford Media Policy Summer Institute

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 03:29:42 CEST 2016

Milton,

> I am sorry, but this request is way out of the bounds of what NCUC is
> supposed to be doing.
>
> Michael is a bright young guy who has promise, and I wish him the best,
> but NCUC cannot be in the business of funding people’s graduate education.
> We need to be very firm about this, as people seem to be getting the idea
> that NCUC can fund whatever they want to do. A clear line should be drawn
> between CROPP-like requests (which ICANN and ICANN only should fund), and
> NCUC’s own meeting travel grants.
>
> I believe that in these kinds of cases, Rafik, you should not even be
> forwarding these requests to the EC.

well, I cannot take such decision unilaterally and want common
understanding within EC on how to respond to this (also documenting it) . I
usually answer diplomatically to those emails that is unlikely to be
approved and did that in several occasions.

as we discussed before, we need to update the travel support policy and
this one thing to add: clarifying what kind of requests may be accepted and
those not. I would be  in favor to limit more drastically those requests
outside ICANN meetings.

with 2 objections ( I can also add myself and so it becomes 3), I can
respond to Michael more formally about this.
Thanks.

Best,

Rafik