[NCUC-EC] SCI Appointment

Edward Morris edward.morris at alumni.usc.edu
Mon Sep 9 05:00:56 CEST 2013

Hi everyone,

The SCI has it's next meeting scheduled for this Tuesday September 10th.
You may recall that last month I filed in for our vacant primary seat left
to us by Mary's decision to join staff, and Nuno filled in for a
vacationing Amr as our alternate.

We need to make some permanent appointments to this position.

This is a committee unlike any other. As it's name implies it deals with
structure rather than substance. It also has functioned on a full consensus
model. Despite Avri's best efforts the full consensus model is under attack
by the SCI chair, and a few others,  and were it not for a remarkable
performance by Joy at last weeks GNSO meeting it may already be dead. We
need to get a full complement of members on the SCI as soon as possible to
help Avri on this and other issues. Of note, NPOC has not filled either of
their two positions on the SCI.

My experience suggests that this is an ideal position for someone who has
Council experience. None to date have shown an interest in filling this
role. As such I'd suggest we appoint Amr to be our primary representative
on the SCI. Amr has experience as our alternate on the Committee, knows the
people involved and knows the issues.

As for the alternate position I'm open to suggestions. Should we reopen the
position on the list to entice someone to volunteer to serve? Should we see
if Nuno wants to continue as our alternate? I enjoyed the experience and
would be happy to serve as alternate, but believe we should appoint an EC
member only if no one else volunteers.

Thoughts?

Ed