[NCUC-EC] Constituency Day

Edward Morris edward.morris at alumni.usc.edu
Mon Oct 28 16:20:50 CET 2013

Hi Bill,

Safe travels home.

Lots on the list I want to respond to,  but I've been without power most of
the weekend and given the winds outside have no idea how long the current
supply will last,  so let me try to be concise (a true challenge for me, I
know).

> Shall we organize a EC meeting to discuss CD topics and conduct, and
> anything else?  While I have other ICANN teleconferences, I could do
> Thursday 31 or Friday 1st.  Weekend-Mondays' bad for me due to class
> preparation & teaching, Tuesday 5th I have a meeting with the government in
> Bern, and Wed-Friday is the CSTD WG on enhanced cooperation.  My only other
> option would be the 12th, when packing.  Skype of Google + would be ok
> (although I've never tried the latter, hopefully easy to set up).

I think a meeting would be a great idea. Scheduling may be a problem but I
hope we can sort it.

I have charity commitments (Halloween functions) both the evenings of the
31st and 1st. I'd love to get out of them but my companion here might
consider homicide if I tried. So, I'm available the 31st until around 17:30
UTC and until 17:00 UTC on the 1st. I can do past midnight on the 31st/1st
and past 2 a.m. on the 2nd if folks are in different time zones and are up
at those hours. The 12th is out as I'm in London the 11th and 12th before
heading to B.A. from Heathrow on the 13th.

> *2) Constituency Day*
>
> For CD, I propose this tentative schedule
>
> 9:00-9:15 Welcome etc
>
> 9:15-9:45 Pending Elections
>

> [we've pushed back candidate statements to the day after per Ed.  I'm not
> sure how much we'll have to talk about, but probably one can expect someone
> to ask the incumbents if they're standing again…}

If we're into more abstract things it might be nice to get consensus on
determining the voting roll. Of course, I'm looking towards the future
bylaws vote in suggesting this is something we need deal with more formally.

> 9:45-10:40 Policy Committee and Bylaws
>

> 10:40-11:00 Coffee
>
> 11:00-11:45 Visit of the ATRT II Team
>

> [I think we really need to prepare for this.  It shouldn't be a bilateral
> between me and Brian like last time.  Members need to read the draft report
> and related materials and weigh in on this important process, and one would
> think the EC should be able to take a lead in prompting discussion]

I've read the draft report, don't understand it completely, but will try to
be prepared for the meeting using pre-CD days in BA to ask questions of
those more knowledgeable about the subject.

> 11:45-12:30 AOB  (please advise of items to cover.  do we want to talk to
> GACers again?  I'd suggest only if we have a specific agenda, not more
> "getting to know you.")
>

> Suggest we skip GAC follow up as there's been no time for prep work.
>  There are a number of things we could discuss here, e.g.
>
> *Managing the transition to a new EC, rapid first quarter boot up, ICANN
> funded one day EC meeting in Singapore
> *NCUC policy conference in Singapore (please see my proposal on the list)

I'll try to respond on list when weather, power and time allow but...

It can be included in your p.c. proposal but I really think a panel on "
ICANN: Operations?" is needed. Be it the proposal to run a centralised
WHOISdatabase or
ICANN's recent involvement with the child porn bust this organisation is
starting to do the type of thing that, in part, caused the former Chair to
be let go. If we can work it into the overall concept of your p.c. I think
such discussion would be valuable.

> *Vacancies: the new need will need to make some appointments, wouldn't be
> bad to briefly set the agenda
> — a rep. to PIR (Robin's still it but it's not been an active link, need
> to see if she wants to continue)
> — two NCSG EC reps (currently Rafik and Milton)
> — two NCSG PC reps (currently Wendy and Avri)
> *What am I forgetting?
>

> If Rafik is going to step down we need to to replace him on NomCom.

I feel like I've spent most of my term trying to fill the SCI positions. I
believe Amr will be stepping down when he assumes his Council seat so we
may have to fill that soon (as in current term) as well.

> Reactions, please...
>

> Bill, if your flight is through Heathrow reconfirm as the airport has
been shut for a part of the day.

I think the CD proposal is excellent and commend the Chair.

Kind Regards,

Ed