[NCUC-EC] Conduct of the NCUC Election

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 05:14:18 CEST 2013

On Oct 22, 2013, at 10:41 AM, Tapani Tarvainen <ncuc at TAPANI.TARVAINEN.INFO> wrote:

> On Oct 21 17:30, William Drake (wjdrake at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> I was intending to send members a note about elections after IGF
>
> Good.
>
>> the cycle could be
>
>> November 6 - 19 (Constituency Day): Nominations submitted to ncuc-discuss
>> November 20 - December 3: Nominees submit statements
>
> I don't quite see why this phase needs to be so long.
> Indeed, why not allow nominations all the way up to the deadline
> of candidate statements?

these have always been separate phases and one would think two weeks is enough.  bounds expectations on the field.

>> December 4 − 17: Election period
>> December 18: Results announced
>>
>> In which case telling them this weekend to start thinking about it
>> would seem to be sufficient lead time.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> On the standing thing, AFAIK, this is one of the many bits of bylaw
>> that NCUC has never bothered with much. Certainly, I have no memory
>> of the Executive Committee ever creating procedural rules for
>> existing members to maintain their good standing
>
> Nonetheless the bylaws require it, and for votes requiring
> quorum such as bylaws revisions it would be important to
> weed out totally passive members.

bylaws revisions?  THIS year?

> But as I noted, for EC elections it doesn't matter much.
>
>> the list of members already published on the website
>> would be presumed to be valid, as it has been presumed to be in the
>> past (assuming everyone you listed in the spring has a functioning
>> email address…any on there who don't?).
>
> We have _some_ email address for all, but some won't work,
> some that technically work but apparently aren't read by anybody,
> and in some cases they may even be outright wrong - i.e.,
> go to people who no longer represent their old organization.
>
> But perhaps not too many.
>
> (A minor technical point: the list on the website is "live", generated
> from the database, so any new members admitted will appear there
> automatically. That also means it isn't stable and using it as
> Chair's published voter list could be a bit problematic if we
> admit new members during the 30-day period.)

So let's not, people shouldn't be able to join and vote less than 30 days later anyway. Just freeze it 30 days out.

>> If we have emails on all of them in the db, then when I send out the
>> dates on ncuc-discuss I could just say, per your option 3, a) please
>> check the membership list to make sure you're there,
>
> And in particular for organizational members, check your representative
> is listed correctly.
>
>> and please b) be in touch with Glen (Cc me) if you are listed but
>> don't receive a ballot during election period.
>
> Right.
>
>> If instead there are name in there without valid emails, then
>> obviously it'd be good to identify this group and try to ping them
>> asap. Any idea?
>
> There's a number of emails with uncertain validity -
> indeed all but those who responded to either our spring poll
> or Robin's NCSG confirmation request.
> We could send those email asking for confirmation.

Sounds good…you have the info, want to ping people and say we're soon to announce an election and need to know if you exist at this address?