[NCUC-EC] Conduct of the NCUC Election

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 11:30:17 CEST 2013

Hi Tapani

I was intending to send members a note about elections after IGF, bit busy now.  There's no need for the first phase to be too extended, so given Ed's suggestion about the second starting after CD, the cycle could be

November 6 - 19 (Constituency Day): Nominations submitted to ncuc-discuss
November 20 - December 3: Nominees submit statements
December 4 − 17: Election period
December 18: Results announced

In which case telling them this weekend to start thinking about it would seem to be sufficient lead time.

On the standing thing, AFAIK, this is one of the many bits of bylaw that NCUC has never bothered with much.  Certainly, I have no memory of the Executive Committee ever creating procedural rules for existing members to maintain their good standing, or any discussion thereof, and there's nothing on the website to suggest they did.  Happy to be corrected if Milton has contrary information.

If I'm right that there are no specific rules in place now, then members would presumably be in good standing unless we knew of them taking some action to lose it, e.g. quitting (I suppose one could unilaterally axe someone for whom email bounces undeliverable and nobody replies to inquiries, etc, but that seems a bit rough).  In which case the list of members already published on the website would be presumed to be valid, as it has been presumed to be in the past (assuming everyone you listed in the spring has a functioning email address…any on there who don't?).

If we have emails on all of them in the db, then when I send out the dates on ncuc-discuss I could just say, per your option 3, a) please check the membership list to make sure you're there, and please b) be in touch with Glen (Cc me) if you are listed but don't receive a ballot during election period.

If instead there are name in there without valid emails, then obviously it'd be good to identify this group and try to ping them asap.  Any idea?

Best,

Bill