[NCUC-EC] Conduct of the NCUC Election

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Mon Oct 21 09:01:44 CEST 2013

On Oct 06 12:39, William Drake (wjdrake at gmail.com) wrote:

> we could do like
>
> November 1 or 5 - November 18: Nominations submitted to ncuc-discuss  (depends if we want more than 2 weeks)
> November 19 (CD) - December 2: Nominees submit statements
> December 3 − 16: Election period
> December 17: Results announced

Looking at our Bylaws:

VI B 1:
"The Chair shall publish on the web site a list of the Official
representatives of each Member Organization in good standing 30 days
prior to the election."

If we follow the schedule suggested above, there's little under
two weeks for that. (There's no mention of individual members,
but presumably the intent was to publish the list of all voters,
so they'd be included.)

VI B 2:
"Representatives may review the voting lists."

For that to make sense I think it must mean corrections
are possible after the publication of the list; no time
limit for that is given, though. I don't know how early
Glen must have the list - that would give a natural
deadline for sending corrections as well.

III F:
"The Executive Committee shall create procedural rules for existing
members to maintain their good standing."

We don't have much time for that.

Looking at Bill's suggestion earlier:

"everyone for whom we have complete contact information at
http://www.ncuc.org/participate/members/ is deemed to be in good
standing."

it leaves open the question on what having complete contact
information means - is email enough? Should we have some
criteria for when the information is good and current?

We could define members to be in good standing if they either
(1) are in good standing in NCSG, or
(2) replied to the data verification query we sent in the spring, or
(3) react to the publication of the voter list within two weeks
    (or however much time Glen's schedule allows).

That would be easy enough.

In the context of EC elections this does not matter so much. Before
a vote on the bylaws, however, it would really be important to remove
inactive members from the ballot, otherwise we'd never get the
required quorum.

--
Tapani Tarvainen