[NCUC-EC] NCUC Election Cycle

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Wed Oct 2 14:40:53 CEST 2013

On Oct 02 14:04, William Drake (wjdrake at gmail.com) wrote:

> One of the items I mentioned before in the "must deal with" category
> is the annual election.

Yes.

>  Last year we did this http://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-discuss/2012-October/004161.html :
>
> October 15-31: Nominations submitted to list (please confirm with the
> nominee in advance, self nominations are welcome)
> November 1-14: Develop ballot w/ICANN staff, nominees present statements
> November 15-30: Election period
> December 1: Results announced

> We could do it again if people want, but this means nominations
> while many of us are in Bali and elections while many of us are in BA.

Yes. That would be somewhat inconvenient.

> Alternatively, we could push it back a week or two to reduce the
> overload. Operationally, I don't think it would set the new EC back
> too much to take office a little later

Yes. One week later should make very little difference there, but
it would make election arrangements easier, for the reasons you noted.
Not critically so though, if necessary we could cope with

And while it is a bit bad form to have current EC extend their
own term, I don't think anybody cares about a week or so.
Our current bylaws only say elections should be done
on an annual basis, no problem there.
And it seems the responsibility for elections is laid
squarely on the Chair (VI a), so it's up you.

But, I'd be OK with scheduling the election a week or two
later than last year.

> The other aspect of this is to figure out who's standing and if
> theres anyone we should encourage. Last year some of us successfully
> targeted and recruited new blood, and if we know we're going to have
> openings we could think about similar outreach. Either way of
> course, all members are free to do whatever and the electorate
> decides. In any event, people here should be thinking about they
> want to do, and if anyone already knows please say so, it'd help
> bring things into focus.

I haven't made my mind up yet. I guess I'll give you a chance
to persuade me one way or the other in Bali. ;-)

--
Tapani Tarvainen