[NCUC-EC] NCUC Election Cycle

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 14:04:08 CEST 2013

Hi

One of the items I mentioned before in the "must deal with" category is the annual election.  Last year we did this http://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-discuss/2012-October/004161.html :

October 15-31: Nominations submitted to list (please confirm with the
nominee in advance, self nominations are welcome)
November 1-14: Develop ballot w/ICANN staff, nominees present statements
November 15-30: Election period
December 1: Results announced

We could do it again if people want, but this means nominations while many of us are in Bali and elections while many of us are in BA.  Unclear what the impact might be.  In this case though I should send a message with these dates ASAP so people can begin to think about nominations.

Alternatively, we could push it back a week or two to reduce the overload.  Operationally, I don't think it would set the new EC back too much to take office a little later, since with the holiday season etc. inevitably the serious ramping up is going to happen in January anyway.  Last year we didn't get started until 12 December, in part because I was in Dubai at WCIT http://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-ec/2012-December/date.html and that didn't really interfere with the first quarter agenda.

The other aspect of this is to figure out who's standing and if theres anyone we should encourage.   Last year some of us successfully targeted and recruited new blood, and if we know we're going to have openings we could think about similar outreach.  Either way of course, all members are free to do whatever and the electorate decides.  In any event, people here should be thinking about they want to do, and if anyone already knows please say so, it'd help bring things into focus.  FWIW, I'm leaning heavily toward making a change.

Best,

Bill

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer