[NCUC-EC] NCUC Election Cycle

Edward Morris edward.morris at alumni.usc.edu
Fri Oct 4 12:46:34 CEST 2013

Thanks for this Bill.

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 1:04 PM, William Drake <wjdrake at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> One of the items I mentioned before in the "must deal with" category is
> the annual election.  Last year we did this
> http://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-discuss/2012-October/004161.html :
>
> October 15-31: Nominations submitted to list (please confirm with the
> nominee in advance, self nominations are welcome)
> November 1-14: Develop ballot w/ICANN staff, nominees present statements
> November 15-30: Election period
> December 1: Results announced
>
> We could do it again if people want, but this means nominations while many
> of us are in Bali and elections while many of us are in BA.  Unclear what
> the impact might be.  In this case though I should send a message with
> these dates ASAP so people can begin to think about nominations.
>
> Alternatively, we could push it back a week or two to reduce the overload.

This is a difficult year in which to schedule the election due to the late
date of the Buenos Aires meeting. Last year, for example, Toronto was held
14-18 October and we were able to minimize election disruption of official
activities. I'd suggest we do the same here by compressing and moving the
entire election cycle. For example:

Nominations:  20 November - 29 November
Ballot development, statements:  30 November - 7 December
Election period:  8 December - 17 December
Results announced: consult with ICANN regarding date

Under this plan all election activity occurs after CD. Tapani has pointed
out elsewhere a delay in the process is not prohibited by the Bylaws. Bill
has correctly observed that not much will be done in mid December due to
the holidays.

My goal simply is to push all electioneering until after CD. I don't want
those not in attendance to be at any disadvantage and I'd like all of us to
be able to focus completely on work and not politics until after our
Meeting responsibilities.

Open to other thoughts...

Kind Regards,

Ed