[NCUC-EC] Durban Constituency Day

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Mon May 27 08:28:54 CEST 2013

On May 26, 2013, at 8:41 PM, Edward Morris <edward.morris at ALUMNI.USC.EDU> wrote:

> We do have to take some of the blame for some of the dissatisfaction ourselves. We need to be better prepared / rehearsed and certainly need to arrive a bit earlier to check and make sure the technology works. Double that for Durban if we're premiering a new functioning website.

Not sure why you're belaboring the notion of dissastifaction but I'm not prepared to hyperventilate about a few people not wanting to hear about stuff they're not working on. BFD. We had to cover what we covered if we were going to start to act on the renewal we said we'd undertake during the election.  I believe we committed to trying to build a more inclusive, transparent and sustainable CS presence.  I see no need to apologize to anyone who's' content in their supported travel and doesn't care what happens to the constituency as long as they're able to engage in the council discussion de jour and other fun stuff.  And BTW, you weren't here, but prior meetings were not so exciting either.  If I'd had to sit through one more discussion duplicating the NCSG discussions of WHOIS and trademarks I'd have stuck a fork in my eye.  Different strokes for different folks, this is natural, so could we move on now to a more productive conversation?  If you want to engage in some sort of self-flagellation ritual please leave me out of it, I'm an atheist and don't like sharp objects.

The meeting should in fact spend at least a little time updating on the operational stuff we committed to do.  If there's really going to be a new website to debut (and I kind of wish I could get some clear info on that…do I schedule it or no?), then we're going to have to debut it.  If there's anything to be said, albeit briefly, about progress in the other areas like outreach/member relations, that should happen too.  And update on finance and expenditures will be in order, I have six budget requests waiting.  And meetings planned.  So the nuts and bolts stuff has to get some play, but given the overall lack of engagement in moving it forward this shouldn't be more than 1/3rd of the time.

I think the Policy Committee issue and the larger roles question will need discussion.  I believe we need to rethink inter alia given the realities of policy at the SG level.

Other stuff—meet the locals, PIR, maybe GAC.

> If CSS would be duplicative we can try to dig up someone else. South Africa is obviously a very interesting country where CS has played an instrumental role in bringing equality and justice to the people. It's also a nation that has also produced it's fair share of inspiring speakers.  Great to tap into that.

Yes and that's why I'm trying to organize something with APC

> Three additional ideas, two mine and the more substantive one a result of a brief conversation I've had with Wendy:
>
> 1. How about the concept of each meeting talking about and agreeing on a special policy project that would be our proactive focus for the coming few months. In Prague we did just that and it became the work we did on privacy. About  two weeks out we could send an email  (I'm happy to take ownership) asking members what is the most important policy issue we should be focusing on in the next 4 months and get their views. We'll talk about things at the meeting, reach consensus and  try to divide tasks whilst folks are together.

Recall that there have been people in our tribe who insisted that all policy work should be at the SG level.  We hit a wall of disagreement on this and let things drift.  If we can come back to some consensus that policy is a two level engagement and constituency work is entirely compatible with SG work, then routinizing discussions of the former could be sensible.

> It may work / it may not but I think it's worth a shot. If it seems to work we can try to generically incorporate it into the new bylaws.
>

> 2. I'd like the opportunity to have a short discussion on membership admission. One NCUC applicant is about to hit the 2.5 month mark waiting for a response. People lose interest. Let's see if we can develop a solution with everyone present. It's now our problem. The remaining NPOC member on the EC has approved all our applicants that have been sent to her, and she did it some time ago. Let's in a constructive and open way see what we can do. Do we need to change the system...or, hopefully,will  something less provide a solution to the problem.

This would be the boring stuff you say generates dissatisfaction and a rush to the exits.  But yes it should be covered.

> 3.  Newcomers. Assuming we have new members approved I'd like to send each one a brief email inviting them to Durban and, if they aren't able to come, suggest they join remotely. I'd further like to suggest we tell them if they are able to attend in some form we'd appreciate it if they would introduce themselves and tell us a little about themselves and then at the start of the meeting have a bit of time set aside so we can do just that.

You're the head of the membership team (probably should let people know you've merged the two, delete moribund listservs and create one, etc.?).  I invite you to go ahead and act.  Send mail.

> Goals: 1) Show the newbies we do want and care about them, 2) help them overcome conference call telephone shyness, and 3) demonstrate in a personal concrete way to the community that we are growing.

All good.

Bill

william.drake at uzh.ch
www.williamdrake.org