[NCUC-EC] Durban Constituency Day

Edward Morris edward.morris at alumni.usc.edu
Sun May 26 20:41:18 CEST 2013

> Gee Ed, what am I supposed to do, hari kari?  We had a meeting and talked
> about our effort to get people involved in doing stuff to make NCUC better.
>  Sorry.  We can avoid being so unbearably boring next time by simply
> leaving everything is.

If you do decide the hari kari route, not advised, please let me know so I
can advise CT to distribute our travel support to others. There is no way
I'm going to Durban without you. If you weren't running the sessions I'm
not sure they would ever start, never mind include something that would
please everyone. We could try distributing pretty red ribbons like some
other groups...most people like pretty things :)

>> We didn't get time to really discuss the question of rebooting or killing
>> the NCUC PC and the larger questions this raises, so that would seem to be
>> one focus.
>>

> The role of the NCUC, including the PC issue, is very important. This
> relates to the Bylaws as well. It would be nice to get this done.
>

> But those are in the category of impeachment and beheading material, no?

I don't think so. Those are more substantive and less process oriented
issues.

We do have to take some of the blame for some of the dissatisfaction
ourselves. We need to be better prepared / rehearsed and certainly need to
arrive a bit earlier to check and make sure the technology works. Double
that for Durban if we're premiering a new functioning website.

> I'd like to invite a local, someone not ordinarily involved in ICANN, to
> speak for about 10 minutes. It could be a politician, head of a CS group,
> someone who might not ordinarily be at an ICANN meeting, or even a speaker
> from one of our less active institutional members.
>
> I'd prefer politicians, frankly, so we can start developing some ties in
> that arena but for Durban I was thinking we should invite an officer from
> the Centre for Civil Society:
>
> http://ccs.ukzn.ac.za/default.asp?10,5
>

> CSS is a NCUC member. I think it would be great to get a local perspective
> on the various issues we're concerned with.
>

> Great idea. We definitely should connect with these folks.  I see the
> membership contact is Molefi Mafereka Ndlovu
> http://ccs.ukzn.ac.za/default.asp?10,24,8,87.  He may be involved in the
> summer school thing too, would have to check with Anriette.  Maybe the
> joint thing on Friday prior would be optimal for discussing local takes on
> our issues and how to be involved, or maybe it'd make sense to do both….
>

> If CSS would be duplicative we can try to dig up someone else. South
Africa is obviously a very interesting country where CS has played an
instrumental role in bringing equality and justice to the people. It's also
a nation that has also produced it's fair share of inspiring speakers.
 Great to tap into that.

Three additional ideas, two mine and the more substantive one a result of a
brief conversation I've had with Wendy:

1. How about the concept of each meeting talking about and agreeing on a
special policy project that would be our proactive focus for the coming few
months. In Prague we did just that and it became the work we did on
privacy. About  two weeks out we could send an email  (I'm happy to take
ownership) asking members what is the most important policy issue we should
be focusing on in the next 4 months and get their views. We'll talk about
things at the meeting, reach consensus and  try to divide tasks whilst
folks are together.

It may work / it may not but I think it's worth a shot. If it seems to work
we can try to generically incorporate it into the new bylaws.

2. I'd like the opportunity to have a short discussion on membership
admission. One NCUC applicant is about to hit the 2.5 month mark waiting
for a response. People lose interest. Let's see if we can develop a
solution with everyone present. It's now our problem. The remaining NPOC
member on the EC has approved all our applicants that have been sent to
her, and she did it some time ago. Let's in a constructive and open way see
what we can do. Do we need to change the system...or, hopefully,will
 something less provide a solution to the problem.

3.  Newcomers. Assuming we have new members approved I'd like to send each
one a brief email inviting them to Durban and, if they aren't able to come,
suggest they join remotely. I'd further like to suggest we tell them if
they are able to attend in some form we'd appreciate it if they would
introduce themselves and tell us a little about themselves and then at the
start of the meeting have a bit of time set aside so we can do just that.

Goals: 1) Show the newbies we do want and care about them, 2) help them
overcome conference call telephone shyness, and 3) demonstrate in a
personal concrete way to the community that we are growing.

Thanks,

Ed