[NCUC-EC] Budget Meeting

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Thu May 16 08:49:14 CEST 2013

Thanks for participating and keeping tabs on this Ed.  It sounds like no revelations, but still good that we were present and accounted for.  As Woody Allen says, 90 percent of life is just showing up.

I don't know that we need to point out the disparity; it's pretty plain to see, especially from the standpoint of the finance staff, no?  If they turned down all our requests while approving others, then maybe it'd make sense to play that card…?

BD

On May 16, 2013, at 12:48 AM, Edward Morris <edward.morris at ALUMNI.USC.EDU> wrote:

> Hi everybody.
>
> A brief report on the budget meeting tonight. Wilson also attended and I'm sure will correct any of my errors and give his own perspective when time allows.
>
> Xavier made it clear  that ICANN "does not want to count paper clips" and demonstrated that he still has an ability to read what's on a slide.
>
> In fairness, Xavier actually was quite generous in attempting to verbalize some mathematical thoughts, never an easy task,  but I personally benefited more from comments Mikey O'Connor has developed and placed online here:   http://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-op-budget-fy14-10may13/msg00002.html.
>
> It is clear that ICANN is allocating substantial resources to institutional and staff building and the Community itself is not sharing equally in the newfound largess. We may not be an after thought but I'd rather be Sally Costerton than any SO/AC. Sally does seem to have control over a very large sum of money and hopefully we'll be able to convince her  to work with us, rather than parallel to us,  and can jointly create some value.
>
> As for the NCUC regular year monetary request: final decisions will be issued after the board meeting on June 27th. We're told staff is working on these requests, comments are welcome, and the Community finance Wiki page is where all the action is supposed to be taking place. https://community.icann.org/display/projfinadhocws/Community+Group+Workspace   Neither NCSG nor NPOC requested any allocation during the regular funding cycle.
>
> I'd suggest we may want to place a brief statement on the Wiki politely directing staff to notice the disparity in requests between commercial and noncommercial interests and gingerly suggesting some attempt at equality between SO's might be appropriate. Thoughts?
>
> Ed

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland