[NCUC-EC] Budget Meeting

Edward Morris edward.morris at alumni.usc.edu
Thu May 16 00:48:38 CEST 2013

Hi everybody.

A brief report on the budget meeting tonight. Wilson also attended and I'm
sure will correct any of my errors and give his own perspective when time
allows.

Xavier made it clear  that ICANN "does not want to count paper clips" and
demonstrated that he still has an ability to read what's on a slide.

In fairness, Xavier actually was quite generous in attempting to verbalize
some mathematical thoughts, never an easy task,  but I personally benefited
more from comments Mikey O'Connor has developed and placed online here:
http://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-op-budget-fy14-10may13/msg00002.html.

It is clear that ICANN is allocating substantial resources to institutional
and staff building and the Community itself is not sharing equally in the
newfound largess. We may not be an after thought but I'd rather be Sally
Costerton than any SO/AC. Sally does seem to have control over a very large
sum of money and hopefully we'll be able to convince her  to work with us,
rather than parallel to us,  and can jointly create some value.

As for the NCUC regular year monetary request: final decisions will be
issued after the board meeting on June 27th. We're told staff is working on
these requests, comments are welcome, and the Community finance Wiki page
is where all the action is supposed to be taking place.
https://community.icann.org/display/projfinadhocws/Community+Group+Workspace
 Neither NCSG nor NPOC requested any allocation during the regular
funding
cycle.

I'd suggest we may want to place a brief statement on the Wiki politely
directing staff to notice the disparity in requests between commercial and
noncommercial interests and gingerly suggesting some attempt at equality
between SO's might be appropriate. Thoughts?

Ed