[NCUC-EC] Request For Durban Accommodation

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Jun 7 16:33:54 CEST 2013

We do not have a per diem policy.
Indeed, all of our reimbursements in the past have been exclusively for hotels and travel costs, never for meals, etc. Partly it was a transaction cost issue, we didn't want to deal with receipts, partly it was low budget, and partly, perhaps mainly, we've been operating on the volunteerist concept that people who work for NCUC are indeed incurring costs and while we can help with the big ticket items that would prevent people from coming, generally it was assumed that one eats and moves around whether one is at an ICANN meeting or not.

A per diem is not a bad idea for people who need it, provided it is relatively low. $110/day seems pretty lavish to me.