[NCUC-EC] Signs of life

Edward Morris edward.morris at alumni.usc.edu
Thu Jun 6 11:02:12 CEST 2013

Good morning Bill,

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 8:53 AM, William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch> wrote:

> Below.  Would be nice to get some from members' elected representatives on
> the EC as well.

So nice to welcome you to Membership Affairs. I'm sure Joao is very happy
to see your message welcoming him as a new member, particularly since his
organisation has been a new member for a half year.

You see, Joao isn't actually a new member per se. Technically he's not a
member at all. He's the contact person for Movimento Mega Nao, a Brazilian
CS member that was admitted to the NCSG on December 5, 2012. All members
admitted to NCSG during that intake (Tobias Mahler, for example, was also
admitted at that time) who indicated NCUC as a Constituency preference
 received a nice e-mail from me on December 23, 2012: 1. Welcoming them to
the NCUC, 2. Inviting them to join one of our Committees, 3. Giving my
e-mail address as a contact and offering to answer any questions they might
have.

Movimento Mega Nao, with Joao as a contact, has been on the NCUC-Discuss
mailing list since day one. I assume he's received all sorts of messages
from us, including ones welcoming him to the new mailing list.

However, I'm sure Jaoa was thrilled to get a welcome new member message
this morning from the members elected Chair six months after his group was
admitted to our little portion of humanity. You did such a great job,
perhaps you could do a general welcome e-mail on a pdf that I could attach
to the e-mail from me our twenty six new applicants will receive when, as
expected, they are admitted to the NCSG in the next few weeks. That would
be helpful.

> Am I correct in assuming that there will not be a new website to discuss
> with members in Durban?

Gee, that's a surprise to me. I've read assurances from Tapani that we
should have one, he's actually posted his thoughts on this very mailing
list. I've spoken to Wilson and I know he's hard at work on the project. In
fact, if I'm not mistaken, I believe he's planning to spend considerable
time working on the new project this coming Friday.

I must be wrong, though. For you to assume there will not be a new website
and to put such an assumption  on a public mailing list...well, you likely
have information as Chair I don't have as a mere EC member.

>  More generally, I need to draft the Constituency Day agenda and invite
> visitors, so if we have no efforts and activity to report on with regard to
> organizational development I will squeeze the time allocated to that to a
> minimum.

Don't forget to budget time for the special project idea, the one I've
worked out with a member of the NCSG PC in the interest of good cross
community relations. You weren't all that thrilled with the idea but it did
have the support of other EC members on this list and I think it's a real
positive idea going forward.

Of course, perhaps we should all talk about it at our next regularly
scheduled EC meeting. You know, the meeting where those working on the web
site can tell you about their progress and you can tell us about the
exciting receptions you've committed our resources towards...since being
told after the commitment isn't all that nice.

What we're having here is a failure to communicate and consult. Not good.