[NCUC-EC] Signs of life

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Thu Jun 6 10:55:11 CEST 2013

On Jun 06 11:22, Wilson Abigaba (abigabaw at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 10:53 AM, William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch> wrote:
> > Below.  Would be nice to get some from members' elected representatives on
> > the EC as well.  If people could be so kind as to respond to the Doodle
> > below that would be good.  Responses to emails would also be welcome.

I ticked the doodle, although I'm not certain if I can make it
to the panel (probably I'll get there halfway or so).

> > Am I correct in assuming that there will not be a new website to discuss
> > with members in Durban?
>
> No, it's not correct! We'll have the new website as early as next week.

That's the plan. In the end it's just how polished we want it to be
before declaring it good enough to publish, but I think it's close
enough already now that another month should be plenty (although I'll
be offline a week of that), assuming Wilson (who's working on
migrating remaining data from the old site) doesn't fall under malaria
or something.

> Regarding new members, Ed has done a lot of outreach work and even
> after CD in Beijing, I got so many (email & verbal) requests to join
> NCUC. But as it has been pointed out several times before, the
> approval process through the NCSG form is so frustrating as it takes
> ages for now to get a response, if at all. There is also no automatic
> way for NCUC (or the e-team) to get a notification when new members
> have joined (through the ncsg process) so that they are added to the
> mailing lists and/or perhaps, sent a welcome email.

Yeah. Looks like the only way to get the process streamlined is to
build a common membership management process and member database for
the NCSG. Indeed I've been planning to do just that, but it won't
happen before Durban; with some luck, perhaps in time for Buenos Aires.

--
Tapani Tarvainen