[NCUC-EC] Signs of life

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Thu Jun 6 12:07:07 CEST 2013

Ed

On Jun 6, 2013, at 11:02 AM, Edward Morris <edward.morris at ALUMNI.USC.EDU> wrote:

> Good morning Bill,
>

> On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 8:53 AM, William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch> wrote:
> Below.  Would be nice to get some from members' elected representatives on the EC as well.
>

> So nice to welcome you to Membership Affairs.

??  I've been there since before the beginning.

> I'm sure Joao is very happy to see your message welcoming him as a new member, particularly since his organisation has been a new member for a half year.

He wrote to me today so I replied.  I didn't have info on this before, no info on the Inreach, Outreach or now combined Membership list circulated on new intakes.  Clearly the processes of clearing apps through the NCSG EC and then linking NCSG EC intakes, info transmittal to NCUC Membership or EC, issuing welcomes and getting them plugged in with the lists and website listing still needs work, and as you know I've written to our NCSG EC colleagues several times noting the concerns you've raised repeatedly on the first step.

> You see, Joao isn't actually a new member per se. Technically he's not a member at all. He's the contact person for Movimento Mega Nao, a Brazilian CS member that was admitted to the NCSG on December 5, 2012. All members admitted to NCSG during that intake (Tobias Mahler, for example, was also admitted at that time) who indicated NCUC as a Constituency preference  received a nice e-mail from me on December 23, 2012: 1. Welcoming them to the NCUC, 2. Inviting them to join one of our Committees, 3. Giving my e-mail address as a contact and offering to answer any questions they might have.

Happy to hear you've been doing this, not having been copied or seen messages on the relevant lists I didn't know.

> Movimento Mega Nao, with Joao as a contact, has been on the NCUC-Discuss mailing list since day one. I assume he's received all sorts of messages from us, including ones welcoming him to the new mailing list.
>
> However, I'm sure Jaoa was thrilled to get a welcome new member message this morning from the members elected Chair six months after his group was admitted to our little portion of humanity. You did such a great job, perhaps you could do a general welcome e-mail on a pdf that I could attach to the e-mail from me our twenty six new applicants will receive when, as expected, they are admitted to the NCSG in the next few weeks. That would be helpful.

Again, when and if I get notification of new members having been added I'm happy to send a note complementing whatever you've been doing.

> Am I correct in assuming that there will not be a new website to discuss with members in Durban?
>

> Gee, that's a surprise to me. I've read assurances from Tapani that we should have one, he's actually posted his thoughts on this very mailing list. I've spoken to Wilson and I know he's hard at work on the project. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I believe he's planning to spend considerable time working on the new project this coming Friday.
>
> I must be wrong, though. For you to assume there will not be a new website and to put such an assumption  on a public mailing list...well, you likely have information as Chair I don't have as a mere EC member.

The assumption was based on the only info I have available to me—a few scattered messages on the relevant lists over the past months and the many messages I've received from you privately in recent days, including the ones I have right here telling me that you have no idea what is going on and nothing's moving etc.  Shall I quote them here, or can we just dispense with the nonsense?  If indeed folks are ready to bring this home in time for Durban I'm of course delighted, having advocated doing it since before the last election.  Looking at new.ncuc.org it seems there's quite a bit to be done on form and content but let's work out a schedule for tackling the various bits and see what we can do.  I'll post to the e-team list to follow up.

I just spent a half hour digging through http://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-ec/ looking at messages from you to try and remember what you're talking about and I can't find it.  Can you direct me to the link?  I am happy to support any useful initiative that will lead to actual follow up and implementation.

> Of course, perhaps we should all talk about it at our next regularly scheduled EC meeting. You know, the meeting where those working on the web site can tell you about their progress and you can tell us about the exciting receptions you've committed our resources towards...since being told after the commitment isn't all that nice.

Uh, ok, I don't know what's with you this morning but if this needs to be said, a) I have sent multiple messages about the idea of doing an outreach workshop and reception on the 12th to the ncuc-discuss and ncuc-ec without receiving responses, b) I have exchanged many private messages in the past days with you about these in which you expressed support for them—again, I can quote them here if you'd agree, and c) as you well know I have not committed resources and told you afterwards, I sent a proposal yesterday asking for agreement to make the commitment, which I have not done yet because I was waiting on responses either way, which have not been forthcoming.  So WTF?

> What we're having here is a failure to communicate and consult. Not good.

There has been no failure to consult and you know it.  There is however some rather unjustified and unhelpful bipolar stuff going on here which is indeed not good.

william.drake at uzh.ch
www.williamdrake.org