[Ec-ncuc] Action Needed

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc
Wed Jan 9 15:30:32 CET 2013

On Jan 08 21:19, Edward Morris (edward.morris at alumni.usc.edu) wrote:

[BD]
> > You bet.  I started playing with a redraft of the charter last year but
> > realized it was too much for one person and there has to be a group
> > dialogue first on a bunch of points.  So among the groups we'll need to
> > form this year is one to rework the charter.

> I'd like to be part of that effort.

So would I, although I'm not sure how much time I'd have for it -
depends on how many other tasks I find myself picking up...

> We will get this sorted. In the interim, any suggestions about how we bring
> in new members?

I't something of a chicken-and-egg problem. I've tried to think of
a sales pitch, and wound up feeling too embarrassed about the
website and... well, about the whole mess as you put it.
At the very least the charter/bylaws mashup at ncuc.org should
be cleaned - remove the historical goo somewhere a bit deeper
and put the current bylaws on top, until we get a new one done.
Some kind of document describing how NCUC works, especially
in relation to NCSG, would also be very useful.
And I think we'd need a separate ncuc-members mailing list, too.

[BD]
> > I suggested some time ago we should have a working group or team or
> > whatever on finance that would be led by an EC member.

> At the risk of becoming very unpopular with my colleague, I'd suggest
> Tapani for this role.

You certainly don't waste time in pushing people to do things...
But perhaps that's exactly what is needed now.

I guess I could take that on, at least be part of the team, even
though I'm sure there are many more qualified people among us.

In any case, I would like to make a budget - besides useful in itself,
it would naturally force documenting our financial situation a bit
better. The team would need to include Milton, who's de facto
treasurer now, and maybe one or two others. Any volunteers?

> We also have a new member, Anthony Nweke, a Nigerian with an MBA from
> Aberdeen,  who just responded to my inquiry of interest with the message
> "Great. That would be ample opportunity to learn. I'd love to work with
> them and share my knowledge of finance". That sounds like another volunteer.

Sounds good to me. I take it he's new NCSG member and we still
need to get him to join NCUC, by whatever process we can manage?

--
Tapani Tarvainen