[Ec-ncuc] Action Needed

Edward Morris edward.morris
Wed Jan 9 16:05:32 CET 2013

> At the risk of becoming very unpopular with my colleague, I'd suggest
> > Tapani for this role.
>
> You certainly don't waste time in pushing people to do things...
> But perhaps that's exactly what is needed now.
>
> I guess I could take that on, at least be part of the team, even
> though I'm sure there are many more qualified people among us.
>
> In any case, I would like to make a budget - besides useful in itself,
> it would naturally force documenting our financial situation a bit
> better.

Already showing the leadership and level headedness required for our
finance guru!

> > We also have a new member, Anthony Nweke, a Nigerian with an MBA from
> > Aberdeen,  who just responded to my inquiry of interest with the message
> > "Great. That would be ample opportunity to learn. I'd love to work with
> > them and share my knowledge of finance". That sounds like another
> volunteer.
>
> Sounds good to me. I take it he's new NCSG member and we still
> need to get him to join NCUC, by whatever process we can manage?

Exactly.

The Charter and the Bylaws have the same requirement for accepting new
members. We need a Secretary - Treasurer to be appointed by the Chair and
then need to pass a procedural motion authorizing a flexible definition of
the application form.

Or...somehow give someone authorisation to accept new members. Potential
members have already been vetted by the NCSG EC. I just think this is a
priority and I don't really care how we do it. Any and all ideas are
welcome.

I've been in communication today with Margiyono Darsaumarja, Executive
Director of Indonesia Online Advocacy. I expect a membership application
from them within the next day or so. Sure would be nice to be able to
invite them into the NCUC if the NCSG EC deems them worthy of SG
membership. Not to mention the dozen or so new members of the NCSG who are
currently unaffiliated with any Constituency.

I should note there appears to be no requirement in either governing
document that the ST actually be a member of any organization, including
the NCUC. If Bill decided to appoint one of the new members he's free to do
so. That would lead to a situation where the new ST's first action would be
to accept a membership application from him or herself and then recommend
acceptance to the Chair. We live in interesting times.