[Ec-ncuc] [NCUC Finance] Finance Team reboot

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Thu Feb 21 09:49:32 CET 2013

On Feb 20 22:09, Milton L Mueller (mueller at syr.edu) wrote:

> until the EC appoints a Secretary-Treasurer I am still it I guess.
[...]
> The reason for the default is the bank account.

Right. But that is not a big issue in S-T selection.
I see nothing in the charter that prevents the S-T from delegating
the bank account management to another person, in fact it would
seem to be in a rather minor role in S-T's function.
In particular should we one day choose a non-American as S-T,
delegating the account management might be a practical necessity.

> If I am to add anyone's signature to this account, they will
> literally have to come to Syracuse physically and go through an
> identity verification ritual with the bank. And then that would have
> to happen again if someone else came along, and there are issues
> about how to cancel the signature of the second person.

The bureaucratic difficulties notwithstanding, I think it would be
prudent to have at least two people with access to the account.
We should try to avoid hard dependencies on individuals here just as
in e-platform management - if you're run over by a truck tomorrow,
what would happen to the funds?

> The easiest thing has just been to keep me there as S-T, until such
> time as NCUC is formally incorporated as a 501 3 c or has a legal
> personality or something important to gain by making a change.

See above. And nominating another person as S-T and keeping
you as another account holder would be just as easy or
easier than vice versa. So I'd decide it on the basis of
the other functions of the secretary-treasurer.

> I can be trusted to write checks approved by EC because I have done
> it for many years.

Nobody's disputing that, and in practice I think it would be
good if you'd continue to do so. But, well, you _could_
be hit by a truck tomorrow, so a backup would be good to have.

--
Tapani Tarvainen