[Ec-ncuc] [NCUC Finance] Finance Team reboot

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Feb 20 23:09:33 CET 2013

From: William Drake [mailto:william.drake at uzh.ch]

>I don't recall the conversation in which the EC appointed you, but that could just be info overload.  Can you remind >me?  Since the question was posed, my guess is it wasn't common knowledge.

No, there was no conversation it has just been a default. But by the same token, there was no conversation in the EC about Maria, either, and until the EC appoints a Secretary-Treasurer I am still it I guess. Neither you nor FT have the authority to change that. It is done through the EC. Therefore I have shifted this discussion to the EC list.

The reason for the default is the bank account. If I am to add anyone's signature to this account, they will literally have to come to Syracuse physically and go through an identity verification ritual with the bank. And then that would have to happen again if someone else came along, and there are issues about how to cancel the signature of the second person.  The easiest thing has just been to keep me there as S-T, until such time as NCUC is formally incorporated as a 501 3 c or has a legal personality or something important to gain by making a change.

I can be trusted to write checks approved by EC because I have done it for many years. You don't want to start messing with that simply because you think it's a good idea to shuffle personalities around. The fact that the person you asked hasn't responded in over a week (and has council responsibilities to boot) is exactly the kind of thing that causes concern. It's basically a clerical function but if mishandled or ignored could cause a lot of grief.

The current situation with the bank account is stable and functional. A lot of things can go wrong if you change it but I see no discernible upside. I know that some probably feel I am holding on to this for some reason, but in truth the only reason is that, as noted before, a lot of things that can go wrong if you change it precipitously, and there is no evident benefit that would come about.  So I would strongly advise the EC to leave this alone - for now - unless there is some significant positive objective to be achieved by changing it. For now, let's concentrate on productive things that actually help the constituency.

--MM