[Ec-ncuc] "Secretary Treasurer Maria Farrell"

Norbert Klein nhklein
Mon Feb 11 09:51:21 CET 2013

On 11 2.2013 14:36, William Drake wrote:
> Hi Maria
>>

>>     I have no strong feelings here, but having a clear policy would
>>     be good.
>>     I think the list should include the secretary-treasurer, though.
>>
>>     --
>>     Tapani Tarvainen
>>

>> Hi Tapani.
>>
>> I totally agree. Are you suggesting we ask our chair to appoint a
>> Secretary - Treasurer?
>>
>> I defer to our Chair on that issue. I would only suggest is that if
>> such an appointment was made the Chair do his best to appoint a
>> female, in the interest of EC diversity.
>>

> I'd put off addressing this until after LA, and here we are.
> Well...per previous, the absence of Secretary Treasurer is one of the,
> ahem, little ways in which NCUC has not been complying with its
> bylaws, the most recent of which (I believe...so many out there
> posted) states
>
> /
> /
> /. The EC shall consist of the Chair, a Secretary-Treasurer and
> Regional //Representatives (one for each of the geographic regions
> recognized by ICANN). These EC members shall:/
> /
> 1. Be elected on an annual basis by Constituency members in an online
> vote (with the exception of the Secretary-Treasurer, who is appointed
> by the EC)./
> /
> /
> So if we want to be compliant with at least this bit of the current
> bylaws, we must indeed appoint an ST.
>
> Maria, you bravely stepped forward and agreed to serve as Coordinator
> of the Finance Team.  It would be entirely logical and our great
> pleasure if you would concede to formally take on this title as well.
>  I don't imagine it would involve a notable work expansion from FT
> coordination because a) we would assist you in any ways necessary to
> make it viable for you, and b) most of the relevant provisions of the
> latest bylaws are manifestly non-operative, i.e.
>
> /The Secretary-Treasurer/
> /
> 1. The EC shall elect a Secretary-Treasurer (ST) to assist in the
> management of the Constituency. The ST will be nominated to the EC by
> the Chair, with notification to the membership, and must be approved
> by a majority vote with at least three members voting. If three EC
> members fail to vote within two weeks of the nomination, the Chair
> shall appoint the ST. /
>
> [expect you'd be unanimous]
>
> /2. The ST shall process membership applications, research applicant
> organizations, and provide an initial recommendation to the Chairman
> regarding membership eligibility./
> /
> /
> [the first function of saying yes/no is a no brainer given the NCSG
> charter and can be handled by the Outreach Team; the second and third
> functions are done by the NCSG EC ]
> [...]

May I already vote in the positive - once Maria -hopefully- will have
accepted and a vote is called, because I may be traveling again
repeatedly in the next couple of weeks outside of regular access to the
Internet, and might not be able to vote in time after a vote is called.

Norbert