[Ec-ncuc] Mailing list action items

William Drake william.drake
Wed Feb 13 15:44:25 CET 2013

Hi

On Feb 13, 2013, at 3:12 PM, Tapani Tarvainen <ncuc at TAPANI.TARVAINEN.INFO> wrote:

> On Feb 10 10:52, William Drake (william.drake at uzh.ch) wrote:
>
>> I prefer Discuss [...] I will roll with whatever the consensus
>> among elected EC members is.
>
> Looks like we've got three supporting ncuc-discuss, including the
> chair, with three abstentions. Close enough to consensus for me,
> but I'll leave that up to you.

Amidst all the mail flying on different topics in different spaces I've lost track of who has or hasn't replied.  However, I wouldn't consider a non-reply as an abstention (!?).  If that were the standard, abstention would probably be the majority position on most issues in most collaborative spaces I know, and not just within NCUC, NCSG, ICANN, civil society, etc etc.  This would hardly constitute a raving endorsement of anything.

Instead, I think we have to proceed on the standard assumption that if something's been proposed and people haven't responded after a due or designated period of time, that constitutes consensus.

So how about this.  It's last call at the bar.  If nobody has disagreed by 24 hours from now, we declare consensus and do something!

> Another mailing list action item is moving this list and
> its archives to ncuc.org domain and renaming it to "ncuc-ec",
> as per discussion by the e-team
> (cf. http://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/e-team/2013-February/000160.html
> and associated thread).
> This would also be a good opportunity to trim the list to include only
> current EC members.

These two proposals have also been laying out there for some time now.  So again, I suggest that if nobody has disagreed by 24 hours from now, we declare consensus and act.

And if someone does disagree, then I guess we have to a) discuss a little more to see if we can find formulations suitable to all, and if that fails b) either do rough consensus or, if people feel sharply divided, vote.  The latter would be rather odd.

So ok folks, 24 hours.

Thanks

Bill