[Ec-ncuc] Travel funding

David Cake dave
Tue Dec 18 15:20:49 CET 2012

On 18/12/2012, at 10:00 PM, William Drake wrote:

> Aha, maybe a topic people will care to respond to?:-)
>
> As of the last meeting, there are 3 travel slots per constituency.  We've debated ways to allocate.  Normally one has to be the chair, who runs the constituency day meeting.  The other two could be EC members, or could be regular general members.  We talked about criteria, and obviously a number of variables may be relevant, e.g. performance, diversity, spreading the luv, etc.  Bottom line, normally one would think that there should be preference for people who have actually committed the time and energy to do stuff that has helped us move forward, and/or who are engaged in a WG or something similar that will be having a big meeting and their presence is deemed as important.  It was on this basis I believe that we opted to fund Wilson to come to Toronto, which in turn led to a deepening engagement, et voila.  Conversely, funding people who haven't committed time and energy etc. could look like simple favoritism to others.

	Yes, as Bill says this idea of actually having guaranteed travel slots is such a recent luxury (first applied in Toronto) that we haven't actually worked out how to deal with it yet. We only realised quite close to the Toronto meeting that we would have a 'free' travel slot, and it was all a bit of a hurried process, but we had some discussion about how to handle the situation in future. It is for the EC to work out how the slots are used - I would assume that using one for the chair is pretty much going to be standard procedure, but the other two slots it is up to the EC to decide how best to use them.

	These slots are, of course, in addition to the councillors, NomCom, etc, and there are also some NCSG slots I think.

	And NCUC has some money of its own, which the EC may decide to use for travel funding (previously, this was most of what NCUC funds were used for). Now that NCUC has travel slots to allocate, and has to consider funding the policy conferences etc, the EC may or may not decide that travel is the best use of funds.

	Cheers

		David