[Ec-ncuc] Travel funding

William Drake william.drake
Tue Dec 18 15:00:13 CET 2012

Aha, maybe a topic people will care to respond to?:-)

As of the last meeting, there are 3 travel slots per constituency.  We've debated ways to allocate.  Normally one has to be the chair, who runs the constituency day meeting.  The other two could be EC members, or could be regular general members.  We talked about criteria, and obviously a number of variables may be relevant, e.g. performance, diversity, spreading the luv, etc.  Bottom line, normally one would think that there should be preference for people who have actually committed the time and energy to do stuff that has helped us move forward, and/or who are engaged in a WG or something similar that will be having a big meeting and their presence is deemed as important.  It was on this basis I believe that we opted to fund Wilson to come to Toronto, which in turn led to a deepening engagement, et voila.  Conversely, funding people who haven't committed time and energy etc. could look like simple favoritism to others.

Must run,

Bill