[Ec-ncuc] NCUC Appointments

David Cake dave
Fri Dec 14 05:40:19 CET 2012

On 14/12/2012, at 2:41 AM, William Drake wrote:

> Hi
>
> As just mentioned on the Web Spaces thread, we have a bunch of appointments to fill, some of which will mean web site updates, most if not all of which are technically expired so we should act.
>

> NCSG Executive Committee https://community.icann.org/display/gnsononcomstake/NCSG-EC  Our two current reps are Milton and Rafik.  While tired, I believe both can be persuaded to stay another term, will check if that is ok with everyone?  They've done a great job dealing with some mind-numbing stuff.

	I'd be very happy for Milton and Rafik to continue if they wish to do so. They've done an excellent job taking a hard stand on membership rules.

> NCSG Policy Committee https://community.icann.org/display/gnsononcomstake/NCSG-PC Was Brenden and Konstantinos.  I have what I think is a really good solution to propose: Avri and Mary.  I've spoken with both about this in the past couple of days and they're both prepared to step up.  We really need people who have deep and demonstrated engagements with the issues, are well organized and systematic in keeping track and following up on stuff, and able to work well with both the NCSG Councilors, members, other constituencies/stakeholders, etc down the line.  Both fit the bill and more in a zillion ways, plus we'd get some gender balance in our NCUC leadership team.  What does everyone think?

	I think Avri and Mary are great choices for a range of reasons. While KK and Brendan have a lot of policy expertise, I think it is becoming clearer that we need procedural coordination as well, especially if things like the 'strawman' stuff where policy debate it happening outside GNSO council process is going to keep happening, and Avri and Mary are two of our procedural experts with broad contacts.
	(and agreement on the gender balance point)

> NCSG Financial Committee https://community.icann.org/display/gnsononcomstake/NCSG-FC  I don't know if Milton wants to keep at this, on top of maintaining NCUC's finances, but can ask.  Unless someone else is interested?one thing is for sure, both for NCUC and NCSG: we need to pay more attention to the ICANN budget process and not be so shy in our requests.  Other constituencies and stakeholder groups have secured a lot of resources, and with the new gTLD gazillions washing around the system, there's no reason we should be so principled as to deny ourselves support for holding meetings, doing outreach, and other useful functions.

	I agree that we need to pay more attention to the budget process etc. ICANN staff have tended to push this on to the chairs by default, and the chair already has plenty of other demands on their time, and this is one area that can be separated off.
	I will note that finding someone who can remain attentive and awake during hour long presentations from Xavier is something I found pretty difficult, and may require a special person. Or stimulants.
	And we do definitely need to keep pushing for funding the way other groups do.

I have no useful input for ALAC liason, other than if it does go to an NPOC person, we will need to keep an eye on them. There are already ALAC people who are very keen to berate NCUC for how mean we are being to the nice NPOC people (Alan, notably, who scolded me for NCUC taking all the council slots and not sharing in Toronto), and we need to ensure that there is someone there to tell our side of the story.

> ATRT2: Avri has put her name in for this.  One or two NPOC people have as well.

	This is an SG wide appointment, but I really think this is an important one. The ATRT really needs someone very familiar with the details of ICANN process etc, and we really need a strong advocate for NCUC in there.
The other RT teams I would be willing to consider an NPOC candidate with good relevant qualifications or experience, but I think we should back Avri strongly.
	Note that the NPOC people can, of course, apply without GNSO endorsement. I think there is little harm in encouraging them to do so. But I'd much prefer to see the NCSG GNSO endorsement spot go to Avri.
	Cheers

		David