[Ec-ncuc] NCUC letter to the GAC, RE UDRP

Brenden Kuerbis bkuerbis
Tue Sep 27 15:21:49 CEST 2011

I like this revision, especially linking to the AoC.

On Sep 27, 2011 8:32 AM, "William Drake" <william.drake at uzh.ch> wrote:

> On Sep 27, 2011, at 3:07 PM, Avri Doria wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am against the inclusion of the preferential treatment paragraph.  I
think we should just make our points and demand they talk to use without
this, which seems to me to be weaken the argument.

> What about this as a compromise.  Replace
>
> However, NCUC is concerned that certain GNSO stakeholders were provided
access to drafts of GAC Communiques and permitted to help shape the views of
the entire GAC, while other stakeholders, including NCUC, were not afforded
such preferential access and opportunity to directly dialogue with the GAC
on their views on the UDRP.  The preferential treatment of certain
stakeholders consulted in the process of drafting the GAC Communique is
troubling to noncommercial users and appears to undermine ICANN's
multi-stakeholder model of checks and balances and its ability to serve the
public interest.   Given this, we would like to reiterate the main arguments
made in our comments submitted[1] during the public comment period
concerning the UDRP for your consideration:

> With this:
>
> However, NCUC is concerned that certain GNSO stakeholders were provided
special access to drafts of GAC Communiques and permitted to help shape the
views of the GAC, while other stakeholders, including NCUC, were not.  This
asymmetry in the process of drafting the GAC Communique seems contrary to
both the core tenets of ICANN's multistakeholder model of checks and
balances and its public interest obligations under the Affirmation of
Commitments.