[Ec-ncuc] FW: ICANN / Budget FY13 / SO-AC request process and template

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis
Tue Dec 6 10:19:55 CET 2011

FYI

Dr. Konstantinos Komaitis,

Senior Lecturer,
Director of Postgraduate Instructional Courses
Director of LLM Information Technology and Telecommunications Law
University of Strathclyde,
The Law School,
Graham Hills building,
50 George Street, Glasgow G1 1BA
UK
tel: +44 (0)141 548 4306
http://www.routledgemedia.com/books/The-Current-State-of-Domain-Name-Regulation-isbn9780415477765
Selected publications: http://hq.ssrn.com/submissions/MyPapers.cfm?partid=501038
Website: www.komaitis.org<http://www.komaitis.org>

From: Xavier J. Calvez [mailto:xavier.calvez at icann.org]
Sent: ???????, 5 ?????????? 2011 8:24 ??
To: Marilyn Cade; Chris Chaplow; gchynoweth at dyn.com; ocl at gih.com; Lesley Cowley; raul at lacnic.com; Heather Dryden; paf at cisco.com; robin at ipjustice.org; Byron Holland; tonyarholmes at btinternet.com; Konstantinos Komaitis; dmaher at pir.org; Roelof Meijer; junsec at wide.ad.jp; asterling at aamc.org; Metalitz, Steven; stephane.vangelder at indom.com
Cc: Juan Ojeda; Aba Diakite; Janice Douma Lange; Robert Hoggarth; Julie Hedlund; Heidi Ullrich; Jeannie Ellers; Bart Boswinkel; Glen de Saint G?ry; David Olive
Subject: ICANN / Budget FY13 / SO-AC request process and template

All,

As a reminder, the SO-AC request process below pertains to the dedicated budget that is set aside from the overall ICANN budget to be able to take into account specific requests from the community for activities that are not already included in the recurring ICANN budget.
Please find below a revision to the timeline and process suggested to be retained for the FY 13 Budget "additional request process". We had originally suggested a deadline of December 9th for requests to be submitted, so that such requests are included in the Budget framework, currently scheduled to be posted on January 17th. Instead, we are now proposing to desynchronize the requests timeline from the publication of the framework, as described below. The revised deadline to submit additional requests is therefore January 20th 2012 as indicated in paragraph 3 below.

The process we are suggesting to retain for FY 13 is as follows:

1.       Please complete the attached request template for each individual new resource or activity that your community is requesting. The form has been designed to give you an opportunity to describe in detail theactual scope of the activity you propose, how it relates to the current Strategic Plan, and how the funds are to be implemented.

2.

3.       We ask that you give consideration to the number of requests and to the priority of the requests prior to submitting them. By noting the respective priorities of your requests it will make it easier to evaluate the requests from various community groups. Indicating all of them with a high priority will have the opposite effect to the one desired: it will make it more difficult to take into account any of your requests, and/or it will lead the ICANN staff to have to prioritize your request, obviously less adequately than you would.

4.

5.       Please send each completed request form to the controller at icann.org<mailto:controller at icann.org> mailbox by January 20th 2012.  Though all requests will be examined and processed, the requests will be processed in the order they are received: the earlier your requests enter the process, the more opportunity we collectively will have for review and consideration.

6.

7.       Each request will be reviewed by a member of the Finance within 48 hours of receipt for a first review to either (i) clarify elements of the request if need be, or (ii) acknowledge receipt.

8.

9.       All Additional requests will be aggregated for review and selection. A placeholder ?additional requests" envelope will be included in the Framework for a total of US$0.5m for all requests. This is the amount that everyone should have in mind when submitting requests. Being a placeholder, we may decide, through the selection process, to change the amount of the envelope suggested for additional requests, dependent upon what conclusions the selection process (see below) reaches. If such is the case, the revised amount will be submitted for approval by the Board Finance Committee, and possibly by the Board.

10.