[NCUC-DISCUSS] Fwd: [gnso-chairs] Initiating the Community Dialogue on "How We Meet": Initial Ideas & Meeting Request

Benjamin Akinmoyeje benakin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 15:29:09 CEST 2024

Thank you, Kathy, for your question; here is an additional *personal*
assessment and opinion on the issue,  in addition to Tomslin's summary in
the email I forwarded.

This email is a follow-up email to the document I forwarded earlier.
During the ICANN80 Kigali meeting, the chairs of SOACs met with the ICANN
Interim CEO to discuss the way the ICANN community meets and works tagged
"How We Meet" and "How We Work," especially in the face of the global
economic crisis realities.

The meeting produced multiple suggestions and recommendations, and ICANN
staff captured them in the shared document attached (by the way, I was not
in the meeting).

The discussion summary was about how we can streamline or adjust our
meeting logistics to fit sustainably to today's harsh economic situation
without undermining ICANN's mission and effectiveness to its remit. The
discussion centered on the need to adjust the frequency of ICANN's public
meetings or the number of sessions, the need to make Hybrid meetings more
effective, etc.

The document has shared multiple options that could be considered. However,
some of my concerns are:

1. NCUC can not afford to reduce the number of representatives at ICANN
meetings because we are underrepresented in these meetings already;
2.  Virtual meetings are not effective for our community, knowing that many
are from regions struggling with Internet connections. Hence, it will
reduce the participation of our members. - we saw this during the pandemic.
3. Finally, I am also concerned about the approach that the community will
use to arrive at the option to be implemented; I hope the process of
deciding would be a bottom-up approach.

My call to action for members is that everyone should share their opinions
on this matter and help shape the final outcome.

Thank you,
Benjamin