[NCUC-DISCUSS] Troika merge proposal

dorothy g dgdorothydg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 11:58:06 CEST 2020

Thank you Joy and Kathy for reminding us of the current programmatic
priorities.   I have no firm views on the proposed merger, I am waiting to
learn more.   I do feel though that it may not be the right tool to address
the real issue. This in my humble opinion is  how to encourage greater
member participation and grow our numbers. How do we get tens of thousands
of members to be active.  Speaking from a personal level and drawing on my
interactions with others over the years, members do not participate because
they feel they do not understand the issues well enough.  What are we
really being asked to take a  decision on?  How can I possibly join in on a
discussion when I do not really understand where my interests lie?

So the challenge is how do we communicate better on the decision points.
 Do we ask volunteer researchers to set out the positions so people can
argue out the case with them? Do we issue briefing notes? Short videos? Do
we have policy debate groups? I am sure some of these have been tried in
the past and perhaps other members have better ideas on how to do this.

Some people have the advantage of interacting frequently with experts in
the field, many do not. If the group is reduced to only those who deal with
the issues as part of their day job we will not be able to solve the
workload distribution issues mentioned in earlier mails even if we merge.
I just looked at the ICANN pages on the Review of the Rights Protection
mechanisms.  In my view they would not help someone to get to know the
issues.  By definition our groups are made up of users. We must figure a
way of encouraging them to think like experts. It should be that my
position on the various aspects of rights protection mechanisms is as clear
as my positions on vegemite and marmite.  How do we get there? A merger may
or may not be part of the solution. So let us address the real issue.  I
believe if we get this right we will grow into a more vibrant community and
we will also inspire more generalised citizen engagement.

--

stay well, kind regards
Dorothy Gordon